Mobile menu

Suggestions to 2nd & 3rd reminders
Thread poster: xxxbritt01
xxxbritt01
Andorra
Local time: 06:53
Sep 23, 2008

I need help or a sample on a 2nd and a 3rd reminder?

Especially when the client first said the customer were happy with the work done and thereafter, after 2,5 months of waiting for payment – a friendly reminder is sent and an answer received "that the “market” is so bad at the moment so we have problems paying you. Will try to pay, but do not know when!"

Surely the customer must have been paid and they must have prioritised other payments instead of paying my invoice! What do I do / say?

Good if someone could help me.

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:53
Member (2003)
French to English
"Will try to pay" is not acceptable... Sep 23, 2008

... and nor are comments about market conditions: you have a contract, you've delivered your side of the deal and you have a right to be paid. Nor is it your responsibility to absorb their cash flow problems.

Depending on your relationship with the client I would suggest the following:

- if it was a one-off job I would issue a final reminder requiring payment by return and follow it up with legal action if necessary; whether or not they have been paid by the end client is irrelevant in terms of their contract with you;
- if it's a larger sum from a regular client with whom you have a good working relationship you might offer to negotiate a staged payment - you're under no obligation to do so and you should make it clear it would be a gesture of goodwill only, but if you feel it's a client who is worth keeping it might be a practical way out.

Best,

Karen

xxxbritt01
Andorra
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - so kind of you :) Sep 23, 2008

Karen Stokes wrote:

... and nor are comments about market conditions: you have a contract, you've delivered your side of the deal and you have a right to be paid. Nor is it your responsibility to absorb their cash flow problems.

Depending on your relationship with the client I would suggest the following:

- if it was a one-off job I would issue a final reminder requiring payment by return and follow it up with legal action if necessary; whether or not they have been paid by the end client is irrelevant in terms of their contract with you;
- if it's a larger sum from a regular client with whom you have a good working relationship you might offer to negotiate a staged payment - you're under no obligation to do so and you should make it clear it would be a gesture of goodwill only, but if you feel it's a client who is worth keeping it might be a practical way out.

Best,

Karen

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Dont forget to let us know... Sep 23, 2008

via BB, who that sorry agent with bad market conditions and even worse paying morals is.

regards

Vito

CFK TRAD  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Fully concur with Karen Sep 24, 2008

Hello,

The point is not whether the market is good or not - this is the least of your concerns and you have to make it clear.

2 attitudes are possible, depending on the relationship you have with the translation agency:

1°) You send a final (and tough) reminder, pointing out:
a) that Debt collection agencies DO exist, and that you're not about to be their bank
b) that if they're not able to pay you, you don't need clients like that (I have done it once, with a huge translation agency, very low rates, very slow payment, huge quantity of work... keeping my other clients led me to work more than 14 hours a day, 7 days a week for 6 months; I made it clear that they were one client among many, and that if they were unable to do the job, I'll leave them).
c) that you have the address of the end client, who might be "happy" to know.

That way, you're sure to get paid (unless they have gone to bankruptcy); and also sure to lose the client. It's up to you( and only to you) to decide whether keeping the client is fine for you or not. I dropped this Translation Agency because, despite of the crazy amount of work they could provide me, I had enough clients to live decently without them.

2°) You propose to be paid by installments, with or without penalties - here again, this point should be at your discretion.
You have still a chance to get paid, though each due date for installment may lead to trouble.

But, once again, the idea of "sorry-wer're-waiting-for-the-end-client-to-pay-before-paying-you", that's not acceptable : I pay my translators in less than a week! If they don't have enough money, then they should reconsider their business model!

Good luck, and tell us how they react.

Best

Coralie.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:53
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Pick up the phone! Sep 24, 2008

Dear Brit,
It seems that until now you've communicated with them only by email. Now is the time to pick up the telephone and speak to the PM for whom you did the job, get the name of the managing director and speak to him/her, and put the point so ably made by other contributors here that the agency's contract is with you and whether or not the agency's end client paid them is outside your control, outside your contract with the agency, and nothing to do with you. You fulfilled your part of the deal - now it's their turn to fulfil theirs.
Try to get them to give a date by which they will pay you before threatening other action. If "the appropriate person" is "out of the office", call back until you get a satisfactory answer. Then, if they don't pay by the promised date, I suppose threatening other action (debt collectors, bad Blue Board entry, etc.) could be tried, but in the end, if they're in financial difficulties, the outlook doesn't look bright.
Keep trying!
Best wishes,
Jenny

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Phone them every morning Sep 24, 2008

Jenny Forbes wrote:
Dear Brit,
It seems that until now you've communicated with them only by email. Now is the time to pick up the telephone and speak to the PM for whom you did the job, get the name of the managing director and speak to him/her, and put the point so ably made by other contributors here that the agency's contract is with you and whether or not the agency's end client paid them is outside your control, outside your contract with the agency, and nothing to do with you.

Exactly. Now it's time to feel the pressure. We had this situation some years ago, and it was for big sums of money with a regular customer. After this happened several times, we decided to stop working for the customer... which we told them after we were paid of course!

xxxbritt01
Andorra
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everybody Sep 27, 2008

Britt Bosmans wrote:

I need help or a sample on a 2nd and a 3rd reminder?

Especially when the client first said the customer were happy with the work done and thereafter, after 2,5 months of waiting for payment – a friendly reminder is sent and an answer received "that the “market” is so bad at the moment so we have problems paying you. Will try to pay, but do not know when!"

Surely the customer must have been paid and they must have prioritised other payments instead of paying my invoice! What do I do / say?

Good if someone could help me.

Thanks.

Always watch the BB before you say "yes" to a job! My comments will be there after the 1.10.2008 (the deadline for my payment to be received).

Have a good week-end all of you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions to 2nd & 3rd reminders

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs