Received job offer with extremely low rate
Thread poster: Mahmoud Rayyan

Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:18
English to Arabic
Oct 6, 2008

Peace be upon you all,
I got a mail from a client posting his offer which is as follows:
Please note the third line from underneath: offered rate!!!!
Can you believe this which 15 years experience translator should accept this offer

Looking for Freelancers Only

Required urgently some Professional Arabic- English Translators (preferably with English mother-tongue) for cooperation with them on regular, very long-term basis (for years to come, God willing!) for translating some Arabic laws and regulation into English (starting with about 100 pages), as well as some Contracts and Agreements from English into Arabic (About 50 pages, as a starter).
Applicants are expected to accept doing a 1- 2 pages as a test to judge their ability to do the required job.
NOTE: Translators with less than ten years of documented experience in Translation shouldn't apply, please!
Payment Terms: 15 days net after completion of translation.
NOT interested in receiving offers from amateur translators NOT having 15 years of experience!
Please email me your short CV together with your COMPLETE contact details and average turnaround time.
Offered Rate: One American cent per word. Please offer your services ONLY IF you can accept my offered rate.
Deivery Time is open to negotiation.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-10-06 20:26]

Direct link Reply with quote
xxxJPW  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Send them a reply... Oct 6, 2008

...telling them that you have one year's experience and that you charge fifteen cents per word.

Oh yes, and you prefer tight deadlines.

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
10 years of documented experience Oct 8, 2008

That's a tough one to prove for the tens of thousands of applicants on this one, for sure. I think I'd have to spend a few days just getting the documents together to comply with that 10-year rule.

It's an even tougher one for the agency to sift through, mind. They've been smart asking for short CVs, otherwise they'd have some difficulty in getting around to deciding who's actually going to be moving those 100-page and 50-page starters, with all that applicants' bumph to read through all day long for a week or two. Thousands of applications. Well, hundreds anyway. Literally dozens, I'd say. Might even be double figures.

I like the bit about starters, too, don't you? It's a kind of friendly intro. 50 just to start them off on their long oasis-less desert trek through Arabic legal systems, and before you can say "National, local, municipal, supra-municipal, sub-municipal, infra-municipal, quasi-municipal and pseudo-municipal regulations and bye-laws of Alexandria", they'll be reaping the profits of 10 years of professional experience as they ring up one shiny American cent with every word. Ain't life grand.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Received job offer with extremely low rate

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs