Cannot make Paypal payment to SA. Alternatives?
Thread poster: Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 10:55
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 7, 2008

Good morning,

I just tried to make a Paypal payment to someone in South Africa who has a standard Paypal account and agree to payment via Paypal. However, I get this error message:

"Authorisation Failed. Currently PayPal accounts in South Africa are only able to send payments. This recipient is not eligible to receive funds. This payment cannot be processed at this time."

My bank charges £20 for European bank transfers (despite IBAN and BIC/Swift), so I'm dreading to think what a bank transfer to South Africa would cost. Moneybokers have had problems recently - there've been some discussions in the forums here as well - and my account has been suspended along with those of a lot of other people. And I doubt that they'd allow payments to SA if Paypal don't, for whatever bizarre reason.

Can anyone recommend any alternative free or cheap methods of making payments to South Africa? Any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:55
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Western Union Oct 7, 2008

Hi,

I just checked their UK site:

https://www.westernunion.co.uk/WUCOMWEB/priceItResultsHome.do?method=save

Apparently they charge GBP 24.90 if you want to send 400 GBP to South Africa.

Sending 800 GBP will cost you 40.90 GBP.

Hope this helps.

[Edited at 2008-10-07 08:57]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
They should bear the costs, then Oct 7, 2008

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A. wrote:
I just tried to make a Paypal payment to someone in South Africa who has a standard Paypal account and agree to payment via Paypal.

South Africans can't receive money by PayPal.

The person you're trying to pay should have known this. If you had agreed on this as payment terms, then you should offer a different payment method and in my opinion the person you're paying should bear the cost, because they're the ones who screwed up.

My bank charges £20 for European bank transfers (despite IBAN and BIC/Swift), so I'm dreading to think what a bank transfer to South Africa would cost.

And the South African bank will levy about ZAR 150 for "banking fees".

Moneybokers have had problems recently - there've been some discussions in the forums here as well - and my account has been suspended along with those of a lot of other people. And I doubt that they'd allow payments to SA...

I use Moneybookers to send and receive money, and I'm South African.

Can anyone recommend any alternative free or cheap methods of making payments to South Africa?

Have a look at setcom.com, but read the fine print.

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 10:55
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 7, 2008

Thanks for both your replies.

I agree, Samuel, they should have known they can't receive payments, but evidently they didn't. You're right that in the light of this they should bear the costs.

I had a look at Setcom, and ironically they state that for South Africa "sending money internationally is not available as it is prohibited by the laws of the country." So with Setcom, South Africans can receive, not send, and with Paypal they can send but not receive?!

In any event, I'll have another look. Thanks again to both of you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot make Paypal payment to SA. Alternatives?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs