what kind of Paypal´s account dou you recomend me? or it is better moneybookers?
Thread poster: carmen reyes
carmen reyes
carmen reyes  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:38
German to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 10, 2008

Hello, I am pretty new with the subject. I have not yet used Paypal or moneybooker. In fact I do not know which account should I have as a freelancer, an account for entrepises or a personal one?. I suppose that a bussines one. And yet another question it is neccesary to have an account with Paypal and one with Moneybooker? Is it request by the customers?
Thank you very much in advanced.
Carmen Reyes

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:38
English to French
+ ...
Paypal business Oct 10, 2008

Usually, clients are happy if you have PayPal. It is still much more widely used than Moneybookers, although that may change in the next few years. I don't use Moneybookers and nobody ever asked for it.

For a freelancer, a business account is probably the best option. However, keep in mind that they will take a 4% cut off each payment your receive. Either you should charge that 4% to your clients, or you should limit the amount you are willing to receive by PayPal to an amount you f
... See more
Usually, clients are happy if you have PayPal. It is still much more widely used than Moneybookers, although that may change in the next few years. I don't use Moneybookers and nobody ever asked for it.

For a freelancer, a business account is probably the best option. However, keep in mind that they will take a 4% cut off each payment your receive. Either you should charge that 4% to your clients, or you should limit the amount you are willing to receive by PayPal to an amount you feel comfortable with. USD 1000 is usually a good guideline - it comes down to paying more or less $40 for your transaction. There is always the enterprise account - but you would have to have a nice cashflow to justify the price you will pay for that service.
Collapse

Nancy Cortell
Nancy Cortell  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:38
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Regarding paypal Oct 10, 2008

I am from Argentina, nice to talk to you
does anyone know how to withdraw money from Argentina?
many thanks
Nancy

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
An verified account Oct 10, 2008

Dear Carmen Reyes,

I suggest you to open asap at Paypal a so-called "verified" account. In a few words, it is an account where you inform a credit card number. So you have unlimited access to your money, otherwise you could only withdraw 1000 or so dollars / euros.

After you inform your credit card Paypal does a debt on it of US$ 1.95 (I think this is not toooo much!) to test if it is ok, and gives this value back after you receive some money at Paypal.

O
... See more
Dear Carmen Reyes,

I suggest you to open asap at Paypal a so-called "verified" account. In a few words, it is an account where you inform a credit card number. So you have unlimited access to your money, otherwise you could only withdraw 1000 or so dollars / euros.

After you inform your credit card Paypal does a debt on it of US$ 1.95 (I think this is not toooo much!) to test if it is ok, and gives this value back after you receive some money at Paypal.

On the credit card they verify your family name (e.g. Reyes), not the whole name (eg. Carmen Reyes).

Regards.

Wolf Kux
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Xoom Oct 10, 2008

Nancy Cortell wrote:

I am from Argentina, nice to talk to you
does anyone know how to withdraw money from Argentina?
many thanks
Nancy

If you cant withdraw directly from PayPal to Argentina (like we can't in Brazil), use http://www.xoom.com .

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:38
English to Polish
MB Oct 11, 2008

Paypal is very expencive. Moneybookers is cheaper.

Anni

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Just some notes Oct 11, 2008

carmen reyes wrote:
In fact I do not know which account should I have as a freelancer, an account for entrepises or a personal one? I suppose that a bussines one.

My take is, do not use a "business" account unless you can see that there are definite benefits to a "business" account.

And yet another question it is neccesary to have an account with Paypal and one with Moneybooker?

Might as well get both. Signing up is free, isn't it? And you never know when you might have to turn down a job because you don't have X account.

As for the fees... remember that if you pay less it is often simply because the other party is paying more. So something may be free or cheap for you, but not as cheap for the other party. The fees below (for sending money to Spain) do not take into account normal banking fees and currency exchange fees.

For transferring USD 500 (EUR 350) to a translator in Spain: Moneybookers total cost is EUR 8.94, PayPal total cost is EUR 13.86. And, if the client sends USD 500, the Moneybookers translator will receive EUR 348.20 and the PayPal translator will receive only EUR 336.14.

With PayPal, the translator bears all the costs; with Moneybookers, the client pays most of the costs. For a client uses to PayPal, Moneybookers may seen very expensive. If your client says 'MB is expensive', explain why, and offer that they deduct the MB fees from your invoice.

==

Moneybookers:
http://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=fees

Getting paid by Moneybookers consists of four transactions, namely upload funds, send funds, receive funds, and download funds. Sending funds incur 1% fee (max EUR 0.50), and receiving funds is free. Uploading funds costs the client a 1,9% fee, and downloading funds cost you EUR 1.80 per transfer. Clients can upload funds without paying 1,9%, but they they pay SWIFT fees with their local bank.

So, with Moneybookers, getting USD 100 (EUR 70) will cost the client USD 1,90 to upload, and EUR 0.50 to send it, and it'll cost you EUR 1.80 to download the funds. Client's total cost USD 1.90 + USD 0.70 = USD 2.60 (EUR 1.82). Translator's total cost EUR 1.80.

For sending USD 500, the client's total fee is USD 9.50 + USD 0.70 = USD 10.20 (EUR 7.14). Translator's total cost of receiving USD 500 (EUR 350) is EUR 1.80.

==

PayPal:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

Getting paid by PayPal also consists of four transactions, namely upload funds, send funds, receive funds, and download funds. Sending funds is free, and uploading funds is also free. The downloading fee is EUR 1 if less than EUR 100, or free if over EUR 100. The fees for receiving funds may depend on whether you have a personal or business account (country specific), but for Spain they are the same, namely 3.9% + USD 0.30.

So, with PayPal, getting USD 100 (EUR 70) will cost the client nothing to upload, and nothing to send it, and it'll cost you EUR 1.00 to receive it and EUR 2.70 + USD 0.30 (EUR 0.21) to download the funds. Client's total cost is nothing. Translator's total cost is EUR 3.91.

For sending USD 500 (EUR 350), the client's total fee is nothing. The translator's total cost is EUR 0 + EUR 13.65 + USD 0.3 (EUR 0.21) = EUR 13.86.

==

Xoom:
https://www.xoom.com/sendmoneynow/money-transfer-fees

For sending USD 100 (EUR 70), the client pays USD 10, and the translator pays nothing. For sending USD 500 (EUR 350), the client pays USD 26, and the translator pays nothing.

==

Western Union (according to Xoom site):

For sending USD 100 (EUR 70), the client pays appx USD 15, and the translator pays nothing. For sending USD 500 (EUR 350), the client pays approx USD 45, and the translator pays nothing.

[Edited at 2008-10-11 12:14]

[Edited at 2008-10-11 12:20]

carmen reyes
carmen reyes  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU EVERYBODY Oct 14, 2008

Thank you very much everybody for your fast answer. Now I know a little bit more about the payment via Internet.

Carmen Reyes

Benoit Bertin
Benoit Bertin  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
poll????, Oct 16, 2008

I would have a question, that can be a bit different from the original subject:

since you began to be paid by paypal for your translations, did it greatly reduce the number of bad payers you suffered from?

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
moneybookers is nice, but... Nov 10, 2008

People in the USA cannot use it. Most of my clients reside in the USA and when I recommended mb to them, they told me to my dismay that they could not use it.

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
my two cents Nov 12, 2008

I think that with Western Union, while you don't pay any fees as a recipient, you may be hurt by the exchange rate (if they are not able to use USD or EUR "at the counter").

And why not use bank transfer for higher amounts? Especially good when no mediatory bank gets involved.

Marjory Hord
Marjory Hord
Mexico
Local time: 00:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
paypal new in Mexico Nov 26, 2008

Hello, I just read that Paypal is starting up in Mexico, which will be good news for some of us, I understand.
Margie Hord

Vadim Zima
Vadim Zima  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:38
English to Russian
+ ...
That's not true... Nov 30, 2008

Dallas Cao wrote:
People in the USA cannot use it. Most of my clients reside in the USA and when I recommended mb to them, they told me to my dismay that they could not use it.
US residents can have MB accounts (personal or corporate), but Moneybookers has recently discontinued the main feature "Send money" (as of November 19).

My company was successfully using both PayPal and Moneybookers for small payments to translators, but some time ago I received this:

IMPORTANT NOTICE

We regret to inform you that payments between US customers, and US customers and international customers using the Send Money service are no longer supported.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

And when on Nov 25 I tried to pay a vendor, the last screen showed:

TRANSACTION NOT ALLOWED
Payments between US customers, and US customers and international customers using the Send Money service are not supported.
Any balance on your Moneybookers account can be withdrawn to your bank account or via check at any time.

The last sentence sounds like an invitation to close your MB account to me. That's what I would have done if my company didn't have offices in Europe.

They probably didn't have enough business from US-based customers, anyway. That's why they closed the service.

P.S. I couldn't believe/explain it, but on the same day when a payment to a Russia-based vendor failed, I successfully sent a payment of 700 USD to another vendor, who resides in Tbilisi, Georgia. The only difference between them was, the Georgian lady was already in the list of payees, since I used her services before, but the Russian guy was not.

Wouter Vanhees
Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
strange... Dec 23, 2008

That's strange, because I just received a Moneybookers payment from a US client on December 22nd.

The problem now is that I can't download these funds to my bank account... I had to contact the security department of Moneybookers. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Maria Drangel
Maria Drangel  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Monebooker is not only cheaper, they are so much easier as well! Jan 14, 2009

Up until recently I was using both Moneybooker and PayPal, Moneybooker is cheaper but I thought I should give my clients several choises. I have tried to verify my account at PayPal and it has been SO difficult. I have sent the information by regular mail - they lost it, I have sent it electronically and they asked me to send a bank statement although that is just what I sent them, then I explained in detail how to interpret the bank statement and then they said that they couldn´t be contacted ... See more
Up until recently I was using both Moneybooker and PayPal, Moneybooker is cheaper but I thought I should give my clients several choises. I have tried to verify my account at PayPal and it has been SO difficult. I have sent the information by regular mail - they lost it, I have sent it electronically and they asked me to send a bank statement although that is just what I sent them, then I explained in detail how to interpret the bank statement and then they said that they couldn´t be contacted by the e-mailadress, although I had recieved personal replies (although with unrelated answers) 5 times before in the same week. I have given up on PayPal now after the hopeless efforts of verifying my account.

When I wanted to verify my account at Moneybookers it was much easier, and I never had any problems which caused me having to contact their customer service, despite the fact that I have used them about 4 times as much as I have used PayPal.

After I read up on customer complaints I learned that if the buyer is not happy about the product ( I never had that problem) PayPal with take the full amount paid to the seller and put it back to the buyer without even asking the seller and without investigating the claim. That is interesting to know as well I think.

In other words, if you are chosing between PayPal and Moneybooker I think the choise is easy: Moneybooker!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what kind of Paypal´s account dou you recomend me? or it is better moneybookers?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »