Mobile menu

question about word count in Microsoft Word
Thread poster: LHMP
LHMP
Local time: 19:13
French to English
Jun 18, 2003

Hello
just wondering.... when I do a word count in Microsoft Word, the counter counts bullets as words. Is this normal to include on the invoiced word count, or should I manually verify to omit all the bullets? and am wondering if there are other things like this that it counts as words? thanks for any help, morally I think I should omit, but if the standard practice is to take what it says....well???


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 13:13
German to English
It depends ... Jun 18, 2003

My rule of thumb is that if I have to type it, I charge full price. This applies to numbers as well as translator's notes.

If you are overtyping a document, i.e., the bullets are already set up in the document, there might be an ethical argument in favor of not including them in the word count. If, however, you have to set up the formatting yourself, you are entitled to be paid for this aspect of your work. Your client will doubtless rely upon the wordcount provided by Word, so there won't be any discrepancy.

There are also ethical issues relating to counting numbers. I usually provide some sort of discount when I use a CAT tool on a document with a significant quantity of numbers, which means that I don't have to insert the numbers myself. Unfortunately Word does not provide a separate WC for words and numbers.
Kevin


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:13
German to English
+ ...
Count file Jun 19, 2003

Kfulton wrote:

I usually provide some sort of discount when I use a CAT tool on a document with a significant quantity of numbers, which means that I don't have to insert the numbers myself.


In cases like that, I invariably create a "count" file, and delete from it anything that isn't to be counted. Numbers and other non-translatable data in the case you describe are often in tables and are easy to delete in one go. Sometimes substantial parts of a text have already been translated; I delete those as well. If a text has a substantial bibliography, which requires minor editing but little translation, I may count it separately and apply a reduced rate. I don't have hard and fast rules about counting numbers etc., but customers I've discussed it with have always been quite happy to leave it to my discretion.

Marc


Direct link Reply with quote
 
LHMP
Local time: 19:13
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Jun 19, 2003

Kfulton wrote:

My rule of thumb is that if I have to type it, I charge full price. This applies to numbers as well as translator's notes.

If you are overtyping a document, i.e., the bullets are already set up in the document, there might be an ethical argument in favor of not including them in the word count. If, however, you have to set up the formatting yourself, you are entitled to be paid for this aspect of your work. Your client will doubtless rely upon the wordcount provided by Word, so there won't be any discrepancy.

There are also ethical issues relating to counting numbers. I usually provide some sort of discount when I use a CAT tool on a document with a significant quantity of numbers, which means that I don't have to insert the numbers myself. Unfortunately Word does not provide a separate WC for words and numbers.
Kevin



Direct link Reply with quote
 
LHMP
Local time: 19:13
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
i delete tables and the like as well, thanks very much marc. Jun 19, 2003

MarcPrior wrote:

Kfulton wrote:

I usually provide some sort of discount when I use a CAT tool on a document with a significant quantity of numbers, which means that I don't have to insert the numbers myself.


In cases like that, I invariably create a "count" file, and delete from it anything that isn't to be counted. Numbers and other non-translatable data in the case you describe are often in tables and are easy to delete in one go. Sometimes substantial parts of a text have already been translated; I delete those as well. If a text has a substantial bibliography, which requires minor editing but little translation, I may count it separately and apply a reduced rate. I don't have hard and fast rules about counting numbers etc., but customers I've discussed it with have always been quite happy to leave it to my discretion.

Marc


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

question about word count in Microsoft Word

Advanced search


Translation news





SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs