Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 20, 2003

or is this a belated April fools joke??

Quote from recent job posting:

"Telephone Interpretation Services needed. Emergency calls are received and interpreters need to be available for answering questions. The agent takes information from the disaster victim, then transcribes the information required to apply for disaster assistance. If an agent services a caller who speaks a language that the agent is not directly capable of understanding, the agent must have immediate access to an interpretation support service. The average phone call will last approximately 30 seconds. This service will be for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We expect to have many interpreters to handle the volume for any specific language to and from English so we are not looking for 24 hour service from one interpreter.
We need your cost per minute for this service. We are only in the preliminary stages of developing this service and additional information will be available at a later date. The purpose of this request is to establish a basis for price. On Average, we have been receiving bids of between .30 - .60 USD per minute.
Please respond via email only. We need YOUR RATE PER MINUTE and the LANGUAGES you are able to translate emailed to: eperros@wwttinc.com"

Call me old fashioned if you will, but I wouldn't even pick my phone up for .15 to .30 USD, (average call time 30 secs) let alone act as an interpreter. What planet do these people come from? Let's hope they are extremely good at coping with disasters, as this is surely going to be another one.

[Edited at 2003-06-20 11:43]

Direct link Reply with quote

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 10:58
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Get on your knees...and work as interpreter... Jun 20, 2003

David Greatrix wrote:

or is this a belated April fools joke??

Quote from recent job posting:

"Telephone Interpretation Services needed. Emergency calls are received and interpreters need to be available for answering questions. The agent takes information from the disaster victim, then transcribes the information required to apply for disaster assistance. If an agent services a caller who speaks a language that the agent is not directly capable of understanding, the agent must have immediate access to an interpretation support service. The average phone call will last approximately 30 seconds. This service will be for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We expect to have many interpreters to handle the volume for any specific language to and from English so we are not looking for 24 hour service from one interpreter.
We need your cost per minute for this service. We are only in the preliminary stages of developing this service and additional information will be available at a later date. The purpose of this request is to establish a basis for price. On Average, we have been receiving bids of between .30 - .60 USD per minute.
Please respond via email only. We need YOUR RATE PER MINUTE and the LANGUAGES you are able to translate emailed to: eperros@wwttinc.com"

Call me old fashioned if you will, but I wouldn't even pick my phone up for .15 to .30 USD, (average call time 30 secs) let alone act as an interpreter. What planet do these people come from? Let's hope they are extremely good at coping with disasters, as this is surely going to be another one.

[Edited at 2003-06-20 10:23]

[Edited at 2003-06-20 10:48]

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:58
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
I thought it was strange... Jun 20, 2003

Yes, David, I thought the offer was very strange indeed. I can't imagine it working!
Gayle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.30 - .60 USD per minute is too low for telephone interpreting

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs