how much to charge for localization: help!
Thread poster: Rafael Castaneda
Rafael Castaneda
Local time: 10:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 10, 2008

Dear experienced translators,
I have been asked wether I would be able to translate software strings, etc....(localization). I have previous experienced translating this kind of documents as I worked in a company that usually do this but as an intern so I did not get paid.
My question is, how much would I charge for this. My normal rate for this Company is 0.05 Euros per word. They asked me for this:

What is your price for
(a) software localisation (strings)
(b) translation of software documentation
(c) translation of software related text
(d) hourly rate for related work such as shortening of strings, proofing of screenshots, etc.

I would be very pleased if you could answer me asap.
Thank you very much for your help,

Rafael Castañeda

Direct link Reply with quote

mystymy
Local time: 04:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
By project, not by hour Nov 10, 2008

We do that per project here not per hour or per word. I too had a company from Spain ask for localisation.

They broke down the project when I refused to do it for per word pricing. A low per word and with the Euro valued higher than the USD they were getting a good deal. But it was an interesting project. Try to get the whole project and charge for that, if not hopefully someone else has more per word and per hour experience in localisation.

[Edited at 2008-11-10 16:14]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-11-10 16:16]

Tradcore
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:58
English to Spanish
Increase the rate per word Nov 10, 2008

Rafael Castaneda wrote:

Dear experienced translators,
I have been asked wether I would be able to translate software strings, etc....(localization). I have previous experienced translating this kind of documents as I worked in a company that usually do this but as an intern so I did not get paid.
My question is, how much would I charge for this. My normal rate for this Company is 0.05 Euros per word. They asked me for this:

What is your price for
(a) software localisation (strings)
(b) translation of software documentation
(c) translation of software related text
(d) hourly rate for related work such as shortening of strings, proofing of screenshots, etc.

I would be very pleased if you could answer me asap.
Thank you very much for your help,

Rafael Castañeda

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
I also think your rate is too low Nov 11, 2008

I also think your rate is too low.

Anyway, this is what I would do.

(a) software localisation (strings) - Around 20% higher than your standard IT rate. (0.12 EUR/source word)
(b) translation of software documentation - Standard IT rate. (0.10 EUR/source word)
(c) translation of software related text - Standard IT rate. (0.10 EUR/source word)
(d) hourly rate for related work such as shortening of strings, proofing of screenshots, etc. - Your standard hourly rate. (35/40 EUR/hour).

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how much to charge for localization: help!

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs