Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Why cannot people in the USA use moneybookers?
Thread poster: Dallas Cao
Dallas Cao
China
Local time: 03:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 10, 2008

Hi

Many of my clients reside in the USA and when I recommended mb to them, they told me to my dismay that they could not use it. Can anyone shed some light on what's happening?

Dallas

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:23
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Maybe because it is UK-based? Nov 10, 2008

Perhaps it does not extend worldwide.

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:23
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Not True Nov 10, 2008

I accept Moneybookers payments (although I have never had to issue payment through them) and, to the best of my knowledge, I know of no reason why US-based translators/agencies cannot use Moneybookers. It is, however, a huge pain (not to say that other sites aren't too but we're talking about Moneybookers here). I had been a registered user for, oh, over a year, and all of a sudden I hadn't provided enough information to withdraw money! Mind you, in the past, this wasn't the case and I was always able to withdraw. If I hadn't had money sitting in my account, I wouldn't have cared but of course, a deposit had been made. I had to go through a *HUGE* hassel to get the money out. Verify your address by post (!!!!). Provide a credit card (again I might add). Nope, not enough. Finally, I had to contact the staff. Upload a bill with my name on it. Did that. Wait 1-3 days. Another e-mail from Moneybookers along the lines of, "Thanks for the information but we need more. Please upload a copy of the front page of your passport." Did that. Another 1-3 days and I finally get an e-mail saying I can withdraw my money (and let's underline that it was afterall MY money here although with all that rigamarole it felt like it was an honor to get at it!). So while there is no rule saying US-based translators/agencies cannot use it, I can see why some might avoid it. Just my two cents.

Heike Roensberg
Germany
English to German
+ ...
US based clients cannot join MB at the moment Nov 10, 2008

Hi everyone,

One of my US based customers wanted to send the money for an assignment via MB, but he was not able to join. First I believed, he just wanted to delay payment. Then I tried to join MB myself with a fake name indicating I live in the USA, and indeed, a message appeared that it is currently impossible for US citizens to join MB. This message sounds as if the situation is of a temporary nature only.
I do not know the reason, but I guess it could be related to the current crisis with various American banks gone bankrupt.

Saludos,
Heike

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:23
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
It's not a recent restriction Nov 11, 2008

I've belonged to Moneybookers for several years, and it has always been the case that money could not be sent through it from the USA. I don't know the reason for this.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:23
English to German
+ ...
I use MB all the time Nov 11, 2008

I set it up 3 or 4 years ago because one of our translators insisted on payment via MB.

That US based individuals or companies cannot use MB is an urban myth.

Fact: It is a hassle to set up an account as a company.

Tsogt Gombosuren  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:23
Member (2004)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
You may find your answer in another forum on MoneyBookers Nov 11, 2008

There was a forum on MoneyBookers, where some of our colleagues mentioned some reasons that US corporations are not allowed to open an account with MB.
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/119633-beware_of_moneybookers:_they_do_not_refund_your_money_when_it_is_stolen_by_hackers.html

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Try opening a new account with a US address Nov 11, 2008

This issue was interesting enoug for me to do an experiment, I went to MB home page and tried to open a new account stating that I am from the US. MB did not proceed with the account opening, so I presume this urban myth is indeed true.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:23
English to German
+ ...
Isn't that a good thing? Nov 11, 2008

As a test - you tried to open an account under false pretenses, and they wouldn't accept it.

I like that.

As a US resident or citizen you have to provide some personal data, SSN as well as a credit card to back up your account.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
As far as I remember, paying through MB was a hassle Nov 11, 2008

I am a US resident and I have an MB account (although I am not using it because of other problems I had with MB - not relevant here). I opened it several years ago, so I do not know if there are any restrictions currently for opening accounts.

What I remember is that receiving money was OK, but sending money via MB was complicated, because you could not upload funds from a US bank account. You had to make a wire transfer to MB's bank account (I think in Germany), and then they would put that amount into your MB account, and then you could send it to another MB member. So, in essence you saved nothing, because you had to do a bank wire transfer (and pay the fees) anyway. It was too much of a hassle for me.
Perhaps it is feasible for somebody who wants to upload a larger amount at once, and then use that to pay smaller amounts to different people. In that case, I can see some savings over bank fees, but this method may fail due to the upload limits of MB.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Response to Katalin Nov 11, 2008

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:
...you could not upload funds from a US bank account. You had to make a wire transfer to MB's bank account...

What's the difference between "uploading" money and "wiring" money?

So, in essence you saved nothing, because you had to do a bank wire transfer (and pay the fees) anyway.

I suspect some US clients regard PayPal and Moneybookers as being the same type of service. They are not the same. PayPal saves party X money, and gets its fees from party Y. MB saves party Y money, and gets is fees from party X. The fees are the same -- the difference lies in who pays it.

I think it is a general rule in business that each party pays the transfer fees on its own side. So a client would pay his own sending fees, and the translator would pay his own recieving fees. PayPal passes the transfer fees over to the recipient. Moneybookers does not.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Look - no clothes! Nov 11, 2008

As a test - you tried to open an account under false pretenses, and they wouldn't accept it.

ROTFL...

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
my 2c on Moneybookers Nov 11, 2008

It works for me. What I do get is negative vibes from US clients, telling me horror stories. It could be a) competition spreading rumors and/or b) the transaction costs (paypal charges the receiver and Moneybookers charges the sender)

[Edited at 2008-11-11 09:26]

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
MB bureaucracy Nov 11, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Fact: It is a hassle to set up an account as a company.

No kidding. We tried to do so as a German GbR, but the Brits who run the system had neglected to allow for this form of partnership and kept insisting on a copy of the commercial registry entry, which does not apply to us of course. After a few months of trying to deal with the issue so we could continue to work with an Australian client who insists on using MB, I simply gave up.

ST Translations
United Kingdom
French to English
Moneybookers Nov 11, 2008

From my own personal experience, I would strongly recommend not becoming a member of Moneybookers. They have asked me for several documents (which I have no problem with - after all it's for my own security). The problem I have is the way they have dealt with it. Here's just one example: I faxed them a bank statement for verification purposes and they said it was out of date (actually it was not, they misread it). They make things drawn out and complicated, because they are incompetent. If you are a busy person who doesn't have loads of time to waste, or you don't have the patience of a saint, don't use Moneybookers!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why cannot people in the USA use moneybookers?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs