What phrase can be used in invoices to indicate invoices should be net?
Thread poster: Anne Lee
Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:20
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2003

Do you include a phrase in your invoices to indicate that you expect the customer to pay the bank charges for the payment? I thought the fact was obvious, but a customer has had the nerve to deduct them from my payment, and I want to prevent this in future.

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:20
German to English
What currency are you invoicing in? Jun 26, 2003

It seems to me that whether or not the customer pays the bank charges will depend what currency you invoice in. If you are in the UK and charge the client £500, then the client has to ensure that £500 is what you receive - i.e. he/she will have to pay for converting his own local currency into sterling. However, if the price for the job is 500 Euros, then all the customer has to do is to send you 500 Euros, and any subsequent charges are entirely your problem. In that situation I wouldn't ha... See more
It seems to me that whether or not the customer pays the bank charges will depend what currency you invoice in. If you are in the UK and charge the client £500, then the client has to ensure that £500 is what you receive - i.e. he/she will have to pay for converting his own local currency into sterling. However, if the price for the job is 500 Euros, then all the customer has to do is to send you 500 Euros, and any subsequent charges are entirely your problem. In that situation I wouldn't have thought you were justified in expecting the client to pay additional charges, but if you feel you need to do it you have two options:

a) you can slightly increase your overall rate for translating for customers abroad to take into account the charges you have to pay - and you can explain to them why this is necessary.

b) you can add a separate item to your invoice for "bank charges" - provided that you have agreed this with the client before you start the job, so that he knows it is part of your normal terms and conditions.

In either case, of course, the client may decide that that makes you just a bit too expensive - but that is the price we pay when we work across national boundaries.

Good luck!
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
bank charges Jul 1, 2003

It is a recurring problem.
I worked in the marine industry, and our cheapest way of paying and receiving payments was through VISA (even with the 2-5% charge)- as a free-lancer this is not so easy though.
When transferring money you pay bankcharges (always). Then the bank on the receiving side adds bankcharges as well- something you have no control over on the other side. Make sure they transfer in Euros though, and check which banks (on your side) charge the least. The differences
... See more
It is a recurring problem.
I worked in the marine industry, and our cheapest way of paying and receiving payments was through VISA (even with the 2-5% charge)- as a free-lancer this is not so easy though.
When transferring money you pay bankcharges (always). Then the bank on the receiving side adds bankcharges as well- something you have no control over on the other side. Make sure they transfer in Euros though, and check which banks (on your side) charge the least. The differences can be considerable.

So the receiver almost always ends up paying (some). That is life across the borders even if we are in Europe.

Anjo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What phrase can be used in invoices to indicate invoices should be net?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »