Marisa Gissi
Marisa Gissi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:05
Member (2006)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Nov 25, 2008

Hello to everybody, I would like to report a far too low price that I have been offered today. I don't know if this is the right place but I really want to write which agency it is, and the price I have been offered so that nobody takes a job at that ridiculous rate!
If the place is right, then I will immediately write it.

Marisa

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Why would you want to do that? Nov 25, 2008

Hi Marisa,

Don't you think other pros are capable of judging the prices they are offered from time to time?

[Edited at 2008-11-25 13:20 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
You can't Nov 25, 2008

Marisa,

I'm not a moderator, but I know you can't write their name here. And, as Mikhail says, everyone has their own decision criteria.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Maybe I know these people Nov 25, 2008

Marisa Gissi wrote:

Hello to everybody, I would like to report a far too low price that I have been offered today. I don't know if this is the right place but I really want to write which agency it is, and the price I have been offered so that nobody takes a job at that ridiculous rate!
If the place is right, then I will immediately write it.

Marisa

Marisa, please tell me in private by sending me a message. DO NOT mention their name here.

Marisa Gissi
Italy
Member (2006)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
of course... Nov 25, 2008

but I really was outraged by this rate: 0,015 euros/word and 8000 words a day! how could anyone be able to do that amount of work in one day, and with some quality? and that price?

I am new in the forum and I scrolled a bit in the topics, and found many other offers like the one I have received and obviously immediately refused! Now I understand what you mean Mikhail...

pity, I was still convinced that our job was free from this "bad habit"...

I should real
... See more
but I really was outraged by this rate: 0,015 euros/word and 8000 words a day! how could anyone be able to do that amount of work in one day, and with some quality? and that price?

I am new in the forum and I scrolled a bit in the topics, and found many other offers like the one I have received and obviously immediately refused! Now I understand what you mean Mikhail...

pity, I was still convinced that our job was free from this "bad habit"...

I should really open my eyes and get down from my little nice cloud in the blue sky

Mstods
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Google Translate Nov 25, 2008

What I do is such cases is accept the offer gratefully, copy and paste the translation into Google Translate, return the translation 1 hour before the deadline and thank them for their business....just kidding.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:05
German to English
+ ...
No big deal Nov 25, 2008

The world is full of idiots. Ignore these ones and go find serious opportunities instead.

Marisa Gissi
Italy
Member (2006)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nice trick! Nov 25, 2008

... very clever!:

I wonder if ProZ also has a "black book"?

Marisa

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Maybe... Nov 25, 2008

Marisa Gissi wrote:

Mstods

they have very big TM and the projects to be translated have high matching rates...

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Do not waste your time! Nov 25, 2008

I recommend NOT to mention the name of the agency!
Take a deep breath and look for better business opportunities!
By the way, we are professionals and adults, there is absolutely no need to "warn" us

Best,
Aniello

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Nov 25, 2008

Hi, Marisa,

Please tell me their names via private message.

I agree that we are pros and thus should be able to choose on our own what to accept but, on the other hand, I consider it important to be informed on who are the current exploiters.

Thanks!

Andrea

Marisa Gissi
Italy
Member (2006)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you are right Nov 25, 2008

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

Take a deep breath and look for better business opportunities!
By the way, we are professionals and adults, there is absolutely no need to "warn" us

Best,
Aniello

luckly I do not need this job, I have enough on my own! I think that a vast-scale boycott of this kind of agencies would be good to preserve the professionality of our work. You are right, we all are in a position to identify the "good" agencies from the "bad" ones, but the more we know, the better!

Marisa

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
This is just silly. Nov 25, 2008

0,015 euros/word and 8000 words a day is absurd. Possibly the people who wrote this are clueless about what reasonable values would be. Anyway, you have better things to do than to spend time and energy getting worked up about it. Go find reasonable customers.

Péter Jutai
Péter Jutai  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
different countries, different prices, don't be astonished Nov 25, 2008

Well, don't mention the name, I really don't know why, but if the others think it appropriate...
I think the agency is from India or China (am I right?), because they offer such ridiculous (?) sums for your work. Sometimes I and my wife get letters from agencies from these countries, and they NEVER go over 0,05 USD/word (and if they offer you 0,05 USD, it's almost the same as if they created you a knight) , but I know, that
... See more
Well, don't mention the name, I really don't know why, but if the others think it appropriate...
I think the agency is from India or China (am I right?), because they offer such ridiculous (?) sums for your work. Sometimes I and my wife get letters from agencies from these countries, and they NEVER go over 0,05 USD/word (and if they offer you 0,05 USD, it's almost the same as if they created you a knight) , but I know, that translators in India and China do work for 0,01 EUR/word. This is because India is a very very cheap country, and a qualified worker gets 2-5 euros a day (!!). I don't know if it's the same in China. Maybe. But this will explain a lot.

I don't make my living as a proofreader (because it's impossible, as you'll see it -- just joking), but I know, that in Hungary you can get 9 euros for 40 000 chars (including spaces). In other words: 0,0016 euro/word. What about that? And we are in the EU, not far from you... (Editing: 0,0032 eur/word, not bad. But the prices are almost the same as in other European countries. Go to Ikea.hu and compare their prices with those in your country. And I didn't mention the taxes. You get 0,0016 eur/word, but you have to pay the taxes and other payments from that!)

So if you think 0,015 eur/word is not enough, well, it can be enough. A publishing house offered me 74 eur for the translation of 40 000 characters (incl. spaces). This is 0,013 eur/word. And we are in Hungary, in the EU, not far from you. And they really meant this price. When I told them they would never have anyone to do the job for this sum, the contact (a friend of mine) told me they offered this money to everyone, and they had never had any difficulties with finding a GOOD (!) translator for this sum. (I have read books in Hungarian published by them, and those were good). I tell again: the prices are almost the same as in your country.

Should I laugh histerically or should I cry histerically? This is Hungary.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No discussion of specific outsourcers in the forums, please Nov 25, 2008

Hi Marisa,
Please take a moment to review the ProZ.com forum rules; in particular, rule no. 8. Thanks!

As others have commented: simply ignore it and move on...

Best regards,
Ralf

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

too low prices

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »