how much to charge for translation of poems?
Thread poster: nolensvolens
nolensvolens
nolensvolens
Russian to German
Nov 25, 2008

i have agreed to translate several poems from german to english. of course, i would like to get paid for the work, but i have no idea how much to charge. does one really charge by word/sign count? has anyone here experience with this type of translations?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:01
Italian to English
In memoriam
How long is a piece of string? Nov 26, 2008

Hi there,

The UK Translators Association suggests 0.85 pounds sterling per line but to be honest, there's nothing wrong with charging a flat fee for the whole job once you know what's involved. Usually, there's little point in holding out for a royalty as the sales are likely to be minuscule.

The trouble with translating poetry is that it's far too interesting. If the poetry is even half-decent, the hours will fly past and you'll find you're working for next to nothing!
... See more
Hi there,

The UK Translators Association suggests 0.85 pounds sterling per line but to be honest, there's nothing wrong with charging a flat fee for the whole job once you know what's involved. Usually, there's little point in holding out for a royalty as the sales are likely to be minuscule.

The trouble with translating poetry is that it's far too interesting. If the poetry is even half-decent, the hours will fly past and you'll find you're working for next to nothing! I'm afraid I have turned down poetry projects in the past for that reason.

Best,

Giles
Collapse

Ignacio Mainz
Ignacio Mainz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:01
English to Spanish
poetry Nov 26, 2008

I studied a lot of English poetry (British and American) for five terms during the university years at the US (Double BA), but have never translated it professionally. Also, I had to deal a lot with poetry in Spanish during my school days.

I can not talk about standards here though I can and will say that you may not talk about pricings until you have read and gone through a good part of it.

You must be able to identify the use of metaphors, metrics, irony, assonant a
... See more
I studied a lot of English poetry (British and American) for five terms during the university years at the US (Double BA), but have never translated it professionally. Also, I had to deal a lot with poetry in Spanish during my school days.

I can not talk about standards here though I can and will say that you may not talk about pricings until you have read and gone through a good part of it.

You must be able to identify the use of metaphors, metrics, irony, assonant and consonant rhythms….. . Whether they just want to “read” over it, it is OK. Otherwise, and above all, I do truly believe that a poem CAN´T be transformed or adapted, and is untranslatable, as for its mere ends and principles.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how much to charge for translation of poems?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »