Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
should I accept a job from a company with LWA 1?
Thread poster: Nguyen Dieu
Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:12
English to Albanian
+ ...
well it depends Nov 27, 2008

for example once I have worked for a company that said the documents you will get on date 16 and the due date to return translation was 22 and then they send me documents on the 18th
but the due date wasn't changed at all.

if this is the the reason for the low LWA

but if it is related to financial issues of non payment or anything I never would work for this company

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:12
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
I did that Nov 27, 2008

I had already worked with the agency, but only on small translations, and they always paid me. But then I did a big project in August and checked the BB while I was working.. and saw their bad rating. I talked to them and they paid me an advance of 50%, and promised me to pay me in time.
I'm still waiting on the other half, it's now almost 1000 euros and they didn't reply when I asked for the payment date.

So, my advice is: don't take the risk, unless they're willing to pay yo
... See more
I had already worked with the agency, but only on small translations, and they always paid me. But then I did a big project in August and checked the BB while I was working.. and saw their bad rating. I talked to them and they paid me an advance of 50%, and promised me to pay me in time.
I'm still waiting on the other half, it's now almost 1000 euros and they didn't reply when I asked for the payment date.

So, my advice is: don't take the risk, unless they're willing to pay you 100% in advance.
Collapse

Nguyen Dieu
Nguyen Dieu  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 00:12
Member (2008)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank for your advices Nov 28, 2008

I am glad to hear a lot from your opinions and experiences
Thank all!

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:12
English to German
+ ...
Why didn't you change it? Nov 28, 2008

Ahmet Murati wrote:

for example once I have worked for a company that said the documents you will get on date 16 and the due date to return translation was 22 and then they send me documents on the 18th but the due date wasn't changed at all.

It would have been your responsibility to shift the agreed delivery/due date by 2 days - if necessary.

Are you sure you understand the difference between a freelancer and an employee?

[Edited at 2008-11-28 07:10 GMT]

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:12
Member (2008)
English to French
Simply ask the person who posted the 1 Dec 9, 2008

In the past whenever an agency has only had 1 or 2 translators give feedback I have contacted those translators through Proz first, that way I get more than a number or a 1--word comment. If the translator never gets back to you about the rating you might wonder if it was actually anything serious... because if it is, chances are you'll get a 3 paragraph rant about how that agency is staffed by imbeciles who never pay

... See more
In the past whenever an agency has only had 1 or 2 translators give feedback I have contacted those translators through Proz first, that way I get more than a number or a 1--word comment. If the translator never gets back to you about the rating you might wonder if it was actually anything serious... because if it is, chances are you'll get a 3 paragraph rant about how that agency is staffed by imbeciles who never pay

And then you'll know
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

should I accept a job from a company with LWA 1?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »