Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Are your customers paying later than usual?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:06
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dec 2, 2008

This could be a quick poll, unfortunately the queue is too long for questions of current interest.

I noticed that only one of my customers has not paid in time, meaning that all my invoices from up to end of October have been paid except one. I wonder if this is typical or atypical in the current situation. One would expect otherwise. Please share your views.

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:06
English to French
+ ...
No Dec 2, 2008

No they don't pay later, but it's because of the new EU law that compels them to pay after 30 days (unless otherwise agreed...).

So I don't call that an economic trend, in the sense of a market trend.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Mine don't pay attention to any laws Dec 2, 2008

I have had terrible trouble in recent months squeezing payment out of one or two agencies who used to be good payers. However, I have a rule now that I do not work in a hurry again for any client who persistently pays late or appears to be in financial difficulties.

To encourage clients to pay promptly, sometime this autumn I implemented a 2% discount for clients who pay within a week. Interestingly, not only end clients have taken advantage of it, but also some agencies. It has improved my cash flow.

In addition, I have a small core of reliable clients, who generally pay on time.

Astrid

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:06
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Good for you! Dec 2, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:
To encourage clients to pay promptly, sometime this autumn I implemented a 2% discount for clients who pay within a week.

However, I hope you raised your prices 20% first!

Nathalie White  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to French
+ ...
Typical situation for me... Dec 2, 2008

Unfortunately, I seem to be spending my time chasing payments.

Even though my invoices clearly state payment within 30 days from invoice date, I have been sending various email reminders and calling one particular direct client many time because the payment is already 2 weeks late.

Excuses given: invoice lost, never reached accounting or simply no excuse at all as most of the time, the client do not even bother replying to my emails or returning my calls.

Now, I know that this client has no cash flow issue as it is a big French company. It just feels like they could not care less about paying me for the service provided in October.

Disappointing really...

Good luck everyone!

J Chae  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:06
English to Korean
+ ...
Mine is a havoc, too. Dec 2, 2008

I worked with literally a dozen of clients last two month. Some of them are very trustful, and we bear a long-time relationship. Their payments were never delayed, but some others are... well, irregular, I might say.

I recently got a wire-transfer from one client who owed a two-month delayed payment. Sent a couple of reminders to other clients yesterday. So far, none missed but I can't stop worrying whenever a payment gets delayed.

Is this something unusual? No.

I feel like I'm pretty used to it. Late payment happens so often, I have to keep track of every invoices I sent to my clients. Past the due date, I start sending reminders. I never liked it, but I feel like it's part of my job now.

[Edited at 2008-12-02 14:25 GMT]

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Which law would that be? Dec 2, 2008

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

No they don't pay later, but it's because of the new EU law that compels them to pay after 30 days (unless otherwise agreed...).

If you are referring to the 'Late Payment Directive', it doesn't compel them to pay, as such, it's simply a means of combating late payments.

If this is Directive you are referring to, it isn't new either - it came into force over eight years ago.

Here is a link in case you want to read it - http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32000L0035:EN:NOT

[Edited at 2008-12-02 15:09 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No. Everything quite normal here. Dec 2, 2008

Nathalie Suteau
United Kingdom
English to French
Normal Dec 2, 2008

For me, everything is normal but I work only for 3 different agencies.

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not in my case either Dec 2, 2008

Clients are paying on time as usual (keep my fingers crossed!)

Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Everything is OK Dec 3, 2008

Me too, I only deal with two agencies and they are wonderfull in terms of payment, actually they pay earlier than the 30 days periode, Thank Godness.

Marga Demmers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
European order for payment procedure Dec 4, 2008

In case you have any clients within the European Union who are reluctant to pay, the new European order for payment procedure may be of interest to you.

A short resume:
"This Regulation establishes a procedure for European orders for payment. The procedure simplifies, speeds up and reduces the costs of litigation in cross-border cases concerning uncontested pecuniary claims in civil and commercial matters. The European order for payment is recognised and enforced in all Member States except Denmark without the need for a declaration of enforceability."

You can find more information right here: http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l16023.htm

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
UK pound and euro problems Dec 4, 2008

I have one UK client who is now feeling the results of late payment as the pound does nothing but fall against the euro and no improvements on the horizon...

http://www.x-rates.com/d/EUR/GBP/graph120.html

gad
United States
Local time: 13:06
French to English
No, my customers are not paying later than usual Dec 5, 2008

For the most part they are all paying on time, fortunately for me.:)

Natalia Lobo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:06
German to Spanish
+ ...
Yes they are! almost 2 months later... Dec 9, 2008

I have my first experience with an italian agency, and their payment is almost 2 month late. Even more, my UK bank account is in pounds, and they exchange rate they proposed was undervalued.

Is this an usual practice from some agencies with beginners freelancers?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are your customers paying later than usual?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs