Mobile menu

How much per word should I charge to translate a document from English to Spanish?
Thread poster: AROLDINA
Spanish to English
Dec 3, 2008

How much per word should I charge to translate a document from English to Spanish?

Please help me with this question.

I live in USA, so please quote in american dollars.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:59
English to German
+ ...
Only you know the answer Dec 3, 2008

Hi Aroldina,
Only you can answer this question. The answer depends on numerous factors including:

- the subject matter,
- the type and complexity of the document,
- the file format,
- the turnaround time,
- your direct and indirect costs,
- etc.

To get a rough idea, have a look at the rates calculator (Jobs - Rate Calculator).

Best regards,

Roald Toskedal  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:59
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Make your bet... Dec 3, 2008

You know, this market of ours is functioning pretty much like the Bazaar in Marrakech...

But seriously, there is no 'correct' charge - you have to decide what your work is worth in this market, *and*, make your customer accept it...

If I were you, I'd check the average rates for your language pairs amongst the members here and make a bid of some 40% above the average.

Then the agency most probably will reply with an offer below the average and the bargaining is on. I'd advise you to keep on bargaining until you're somewhere in the 'hood of the average.

Now, I have no experience with your language pair, so I wouldn't know what kind of price elasticity you may find there, but in general, I'd proceed like suggested above.

An alternative approach would be to decide what you *realistically* need for a yearly income, add some 20-30% for overhead, divide that by your number of working days in a year and your daily output (in words), and there's your word price!

The litmus test for this approach is to check your price against the language pair average and if you're off by more than say 20%, you might want to re-evaluate your income expectations or your overhead.

Also, keep in mind that you haven't yet secured jobs to keep you occupied with billable hours every day, so don't expect to be working 365 days a year!

If you're established just recently, I'm afraid you won't get jobs to keep you 100% occupied - 50% might be more realistic the first year. But this will slowly, but surely increase as you keep on building trustworthy relationships with more and more customers.

Good luck, anyway!

Roald Toskedal

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs