Thread poster: Rad Graban

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
English to Slovak
+ ...
Dec 13, 2008

Hi all,

I've received an e-mail from one of my best clients (an agency) saying that they are reducing rates for all translators by 6% and minimum charge to £10. Has anybody else received such an e-mail and if so, what is your reaction?

Rad

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My reaction Dec 13, 2008

I would not work for such an agency.

phd-translator  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:06
English to French
+ ...
See other thread Dec 13, 2008

www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/122987-agency_policy_updates_re:_the_economy_and_our_rates.html

It's the same agency.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
See this thread Dec 13, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/122987-agency_policy_updates_re:_the_economy_and_our_rates.html

United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 13, 2008

Thank you. I've missed this one. Exactly the same stuff.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:06
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My experience Dec 14, 2008

In my experience, one agency said that my translation was bad [after many years of my service to it without any claim].
The agency switched to new translators whom I screened for it without paying for my last jobs [the agency said my jobs was too bad to accept].
Then, it uses the new transaltors with lower rates than mine.
Has anybody met with situations like mine?

Soonthon L.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:06
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Our fault! Dec 14, 2008

It's simply our fault for not including the rates in the contract agreement. Let's do it from now on folks!!

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who are they? Dec 14, 2008

I keep reading the same story these days. But honestly I don't know who they are. Can you please send me an email to tell me? I want to know for whom I should not work in the future.

Ken Fagan  Identity Verified
French to English
agencies behaving well/int'l law firms not Dec 14, 2008

In my particular case I must say that agencies continue to pay on time. (Very big name) law firms, on the other hand, have not been.

Example: I still haven't been paid my EUR 5.5 K for a lease covering a EUR 350 million (...) property, even though I did the job 5 (five) months ago.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:06
English to German
+ ...
Can they afford to lose you? Dec 14, 2008

Are you an excellent and irreplaceable translator, who saves any outsourcer a lot of money in the long run, firstly, by never causing any problems in terms of creating a lot of expenses for extensive reviews and re-translation? Secondly, by delivering top-notch work that will create follow-up projects for this agency by their client, PLUS recommendations which will create new business for the agency?

What exactly is the point?

Say No and you will succeed.

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:06
English to Russian
best client? Dec 14, 2008

For me they are the worst client, I wasn't even surprized.
I won't be upset, if they insist, and I'll be forced to dump them for good.
Always trying to push the price down, sending free tests over and over, making great deal of copypaste in all email communications etc. They treat translators like crap, and it's a core of their business model, even X, L, and S are not that bad.

United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Dec 14, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Are you an excellent and irreplaceable translator, who saves any outsourcer a lot of money in the long run, firstly, by never causing any problems in terms of creating a lot of expenses for extensive reviews and re-translation? Secondly, by delivering top-notch work that will create follow-up projects for this agency by their client, PLUS recommendations which will create new business for the agency?

What exactly is the point?

Say No and you will succeed.

I would never say I'm excellent and irreplaceable, but I did say "no". They called me 15 minutes after I'd received the e-mail with a job and I - obviously - refused. E-mail to their finance department (where the message originated from) with the explanation followed.

[Edited at 2008-12-14 20:53 GMT]

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:06
English to German
+ ...
You made the right decision, Rad. Dec 14, 2008

I am just wondering about the tonality of some agencies. I don't think that I would decline a job if the agency would write: "We have a job here, we are a little bit on a tight budget, would you accept it anyway at a flat rate of xxxx? Please?".

To "decide" that rates are lowered at a certain percentage rate however is unacceptable. They are not your employer.

United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point. Dec 14, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:
I am just wondering about the tonality of some agencies. I don't think that I would decline a job if the agency would write: "We have a job here, we are a little bit on a tight budget, would you accept it anyway at a flat rate of xxxx? Please?".

To "decide" that rates are lowered at a certain percentage rate however is unacceptable. They are not your employer.

I am only working on government projects for them, so I can't see the "tight budget" to be a problem here.
Thanks for the support.

AdamsTransSC  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
I got it too Dec 15, 2008

Yes, I received the mail. I reacted by pointing out that I am responsible for setting my rates and they are merely responsible for deciding whether to offer me work at the stated rates. I did not appreciate the tone of the e-mail at all and have told them so.

I have plenty of clients willing to pay my completely reasonable rates. If this agency is not, it's their loss. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people willing to work for them for less. The question, of course, is whether those people produce quality work.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency reducing rates

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs