https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/123055-translating_for_the_web_do_you_charge_per_word_as_usual.html

Translating for the web - do you charge per word as usual?
Thread poster: Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:24
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 13, 2008

I'm now working on a web site, translating. I have to log into the page and use the copy with the HTML tags, in a word doc and then send it to the consultant. I've done web sites but usually just the copy, but this time i'm getting the copy from the web site with 'view HTML'.

question: do you charge per word as normal, or extra for this type of job? Note- it does not actually include HTML editing, just translation of the copy between the tags. Thank god!!!

[Subject edited by
... See more
I'm now working on a web site, translating. I have to log into the page and use the copy with the HTML tags, in a word doc and then send it to the consultant. I've done web sites but usually just the copy, but this time i'm getting the copy from the web site with 'view HTML'.

question: do you charge per word as normal, or extra for this type of job? Note- it does not actually include HTML editing, just translation of the copy between the tags. Thank god!!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-13 23:25 GMT]
Collapse

samtanaka
samtanaka  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:24
English to Japanese
+ ...
That is not translation,but localization. Dec 14, 2008

That is not translation,but localization.
It should be charge by per page.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:24
English to Thai
+ ...
Charge by hour Dec 14, 2008

In many instances, web-based direct translation with or without TM provided by client is a very slow process.

1. Slow due to bad Internet connection
2. Slow due to poor server performance of client
3. Slow due to their specific software [e.g. a special version of CAT thay want us to use]
4. Slow due to their translated file QC testing process etc.
In these situations, I declined the jobs or charge by hour.
Reason: I can work more if I do translation wit
... See more
In many instances, web-based direct translation with or without TM provided by client is a very slow process.

1. Slow due to bad Internet connection
2. Slow due to poor server performance of client
3. Slow due to their specific software [e.g. a special version of CAT thay want us to use]
4. Slow due to their translated file QC testing process etc.
In these situations, I declined the jobs or charge by hour.
Reason: I can work more if I do translation without using the web.

Soonthon L.
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good suggestion Dec 14, 2008

thanks. They're a small company so I might give them a flat rate. Next time though, I think i'll decline this type of job.

Gina Ferlisi
Gina Ferlisi
Local time: 11:24
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Usual price Dec 14, 2008

I have been working on websites for many years and i have always charged by words and the clients and web agencies always offer me jobs with word count and never by hour. To be honest i don't see a big difference with working on or off the web, sometimes it is more slower working on a normal translation using trados or other cat tools than working online and if you have a good internet connection there is no problem.

This is only my point of view...
See more
I have been working on websites for many years and i have always charged by words and the clients and web agencies always offer me jobs with word count and never by hour. To be honest i don't see a big difference with working on or off the web, sometimes it is more slower working on a normal translation using trados or other cat tools than working online and if you have a good internet connection there is no problem.

This is only my point of view
Have a nice Sunday

Gina
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
per word + per hour Dec 14, 2008

You can
charge per word for the translation itself
add an extra per hour charge for all the other related tasks i-e downloading, creating files, QA control, etc.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's what we do Dec 14, 2008

nordiste wrote:

You can
charge per word for the translation itself
add an extra per hour charge for all the other related tasks i-e downloading, creating files, QA control, etc.

That's what we do and it works fine

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Translating for the web - do you charge per word as usual? Dec 14, 2008

Why copy the HTML content into a Word document? I would just download all the HTML files (e.g. with wget) and translate them directly. In OmegaT, for instance, translating HTML is the same as any other file format.

Marc

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
By the word / By the hour Dec 14, 2008

I charge my standard, per-word rate for translating text in HTML files, though I make sure that the quoted word count includes ALT tags, pop-out text, etc. As suggested above, I work directly with the HTML files (generally in Trados TagEditor or in SDLX, though other CAT tools can usually handle web files as well).

There are certain other tasks, however, for which I charge by the hour. Web site localization almost always involves modification of .gif or .jpg files that contain graph
... See more
I charge my standard, per-word rate for translating text in HTML files, though I make sure that the quoted word count includes ALT tags, pop-out text, etc. As suggested above, I work directly with the HTML files (generally in Trados TagEditor or in SDLX, though other CAT tools can usually handle web files as well).

There are certain other tasks, however, for which I charge by the hour. Web site localization almost always involves modification of .gif or .jpg files that contain graphical text. Many factors affect how long that will take. Once these graphic files are modified, I often have to rework the HTML slightly, especially if the width of menu graphics has changed. For all these tasks I bill by the hour.
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
It depends of the website Dec 15, 2008

I did lots of websites and tried all available methods. Suggestions:

1) if the individual texts are organized in "articles", and are big enough (more than 50 words); copy them into Word, treat them as usual and then paste them back in the system, one by one. You can keep the Word file with all texts, which will give you the final wordcount you can invoice. And count a supplement for file handling, as a % or in number of hours.

2) if the individual texts are small, work
... See more
I did lots of websites and tried all available methods. Suggestions:

1) if the individual texts are organized in "articles", and are big enough (more than 50 words); copy them into Word, treat them as usual and then paste them back in the system, one by one. You can keep the Word file with all texts, which will give you the final wordcount you can invoice. And count a supplement for file handling, as a % or in number of hours.

2) if the individual texts are small, work directly on the website and invoice per hour of work, because you will depend on your internet connexion, maybe even have to work at night.

The problem is that you will have to make an estimation before you begin; ask your client if you can test the system for one or two hours. These texts are often easy (they have to be read by all kinds of people, on a screen!) and repeat themselves.

3) most clients who use this kind of systems now are able to create an output in Excel, which you can handle as usual; then the webmaster pasts the translations back into the system (don't ask me how he does). And in each case he won't understand why you have a problem, because for him it is just "typing in the other language" - he could do it by himself - and sometimes does - grr.

[Modifié le 2008-12-15 14:00 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating for the web - do you charge per word as usual?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »