Thread poster: DGK T-I

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:10
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Jul 3, 2003

Much has been said about new agreements between the EU and US, that mean that EU based entities (who do not have VAT numbers) will now have to send fees including VAT to US based entities that they buy things (including Proz. membership) from.

Do these agreements affect translators based in the EU (if they have to collect VAT under their countries regulations) when they are invoicing the US. Or vice versa ?
Or are they still regarded as exporting their services outside the EU, etc, and therefore not subject to VAT ?

I'd be grateful for advice - I appreciate the answer must seem obvious to people who know.
Best wishes
Giuli

[Edited at 2003-07-04 14:30]

Direct link Reply with quote

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
The US does not have VAT Jul 4, 2003

In the US, there is no such thing as VAT, but sales-tax which has by far not attained the E.U.-level.

An interesting article about this is : http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10218

Besides if you are in the UK, the VAT-treshold is £ 60,000 (Gordon Brown recently raised it), so you do not need a VAT-number if you earn less than that amount.

Within the E.U.
VAT works as follows (in those countries with a lower treshold) :
The service-provider (translator) and the client live in the same country.
VAT is calculated and cashed.
If the client is a private person he pays VAT.
If the client is a legal entity VAT for the service is deduced from the VAT he owes to the VAT-office at the end of the quarter.
At the end of each quarter the translator also has to calculate the total amount of VAT he has received from his clients, deduce the VAT, he has paid for business-related purchases and pays the difference to the VAT-tax office.
If the client lives outside the State of the translator, but inside the E.U., no VAT is to be calculated. Only his VAT-number has to be mentioned on the invoice (if he has one).
To elsewhere in the world outside the EU, it is and remains pure export of an intangible service on which no taxes are to be levied.

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for the very full & kind explaination Jul 4, 2003

Thank you very much for the very clear explaination and the interesting article - which did a lot to reassure me about what has and hasn't changed. As you say, I'm not registered for VAT collection under UK rules (although some proz members such as Mary have advocated voluntary registration).

I guess it's a bit loose of me to call sales taxes VAT !

Gratefully
Giuli

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EU based translators invoicing customers who are outside the EU,re. VAT

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search