Need alternative to Moneybookers & Paypal to pay freelancers in EU & S. America
Thread poster: Novice8410
Novice8410
English
Dec 24, 2008

Hi Everyone,

I live in the US and do business via my website all over the world. I must pay the freelancers who use my site when they complete a job and ask for a withdrawal. I can no longer use Moneybookers and I know Paypal is not a good option for anyone outside the US. I am in desperate need of options. I am interested in hearing the best comparable person-to-person option for any country in Europe and South America. What works best for you? Please take a minute and let me know. I would be so grateful if you would also let me know what country you are from when you answer. Thanks so much.

[Edited at 2008-12-24 23:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2008-12-24 23:50 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-25 11:24 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:59
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
In Asia Dec 25, 2008

I can use both PayPal and Moneybookers in Asia. The payers can be in USA, Europe etc.
Other e-payment services are also discussed in Proz forum but their popularity is not so much discussed.
If you pay only in large amount, bank transfer or bank check is also convenient. If the amount is small, payment to other countries is less convenient than e-payment options.

Soonthon L.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some options Dec 25, 2008

I'm writing from Brazil, which has many specific problems. For instance, money from PayPal won't get here directly; something intermediate must be done on the way.

Xoom is a good option, as it will get money deposited in local currency to your translators' bank accounts in 30+ countries on the next banking day. Exchange rates in Brazil are not any good, but speed and security are.

Moneygram and Western Union are good, but fees are high (WU is higher), limits are low, and you have to take cash to one of their offices, while the receiver has to go to a branch office of their respective associated banks. Money becomes available a few minutes after sent.

Ikobo is excellent, best exchange rates, comparatively lowest fees. Receivers get cash at specific (Visa Plus) ATMs, 4 minutes after remittance. However they recently went through some major changes, and are not properly functional at this time (Xmas 2008).

Check with rach of your translators first, as in many cases foreign checks and/or wire transfers will not work properly.

It's good that you are concerned in advance. Quite often it takes a while for you to get properly set up as a sender with any of these.

Michal Circolone  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:59
Member (2009)
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Have you checked Alertpay? Dec 25, 2008

I personally don't like paypal, and when moneybookers implemented their new policy of not allowing people based in the USA to send money, I started looking for alternatives.

Well, I found one that works for me!
They're called Alertpay (www.alertpay.com).
It is very easy to open an account with them. Identity verification is quite painless, and the processing time is just as fast as paypal.

In fact I call them "The Canadian alternative to paypal"

Hope this helps!

Michal
(who currently resides in Phoenix, Arizona)

[Edited at 2008-12-25 18:19 GMT]

Christian Manuel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:59
English to French
PayPal works fine for me Dec 25, 2008

I am in France and 2 of my US based customers use PayPal to pay me. So far, everything works fine and I am very happy with this system.

Hope this helps.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
what's your problem with PayPal? Dec 25, 2008

I am interested in hearing the best comparable person-to-person option for any country in Europe and South America.

I think Moneybookers is the best for me and my American customers think the best for them is PayPal. Both work. I dont know about the rest.

The paper checks are a rip-off so if you do go for them, you will at the very least have to split the cost of cashing them in.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Payments vs. Micro-Payments Dec 26, 2008

Novice8410 wrote:

What works best for you?

There is no general best way of payment because it depends on the transferred amount, so you should research, prepare, and test as many payment channels as possible.

If Paypal or Alertpay take roughly 5% fee, this would be $50 for a medium job of $1000, while there are wire transfer options from the US (like Amex), which cost only $10 to Europe.

Novice8410
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your suggestions so far Dec 26, 2008

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to respond. I have Paypal and Alertpay right now. I thought about Webmoney which seems like it would be good for Eastern Europe but there is really no way for me to fund an account. Xoom or American Express sound like good solid options for wires. I'm going to look into those.

The way I look at it is that my freelancers are customers as well so I want to give them what is most convenient and economical for each of them in their country. I was surprised at how difficult a task this turned out to be.

Really though, it's a shame that people in some countries (who do not have access to Paypal or similiar) have to pay their own bank fee for a wire transfer plus they loose out on the conversion rate of the money too. I was hoping to spare them the cost but I don't think it will be possible to do for everyone.

Thanks again and looking forward to hearing more suggestions.

Chris Lovelace  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:59
Russian to English
+ ...
Great ethics! Dec 26, 2008

Wow! If only every outsourcer felt the same way!

I think ever translator on this forum would be thrilled to work for someone with such a strong sense of doing right by them.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I second this... Dec 27, 2008

Chris Lovelace wrote: Wow! If only every outsourcer felt the same way!
I think ever translator on this forum would be thrilled to work for someone with such a strong sense of doing right by them.

... only if Chris can tell us, who is he so thrilled about.

Novice8410
English
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Thanks for the compliment! Dec 27, 2008

Thanks Vito and Chris. It's always nice to be appreciated. Really though, I can't imagine any other way of thought. Without my freelancers to do the work, I wouldn't have a prayer nor a business. By your reaction, I can only gather that this attitude might not be the norm? How can that be when outsource sites wouldn't exist without the folks to outsource the work to? I would think that they would do everything in their power to keep them happy. Loyalty must be earned.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
A little bit more company information would be helpful Dec 27, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

I second this...

... only if Chris can tell us, who is he so thrilled about.

[Edited at 2008-12-27 07:05 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need alternative to Moneybookers & Paypal to pay freelancers in EU & S. America

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs