Mobile menu

Late payment from agency, what can I do?
Thread poster: Ann Krol

Ann Krol  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:13
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 5, 2009

Hi all,

I'm waiting for a payment from August. I collaborated with the agency 3 times, and as we started to cooperate the payment was ok, only the last one proofreading job. I tried to contact the agency (it's an agency in Russian Federation in Moskva), sent my invoice several times and I didn't receive any answer.

It' s my first time with payment problems. I have very good experience in collaboration with agencies from Russia, so I really don't know what is the problem with this agency...
What can I do?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Have nice day!

Ann

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-01-05 14:36 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:13
English to Swedish
+ ...
Tell the agency you will put it in all black lists available Jan 5, 2009

Tell him that if he refuses to pay you for your job, you will enter the firm's name in the black lists of all translation agencies you know about.

This should alarm him!

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Does the company have a Blue Board? Jan 5, 2009

Make a negative entry in the Blue Board (you can edit it later if the company declares that it all was a mistake, which I doubt).

If the company does not have a Blue Board, you can create one if you have their contact details.

Spain
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks friends! Jan 5, 2009

Thanks friends!

I really believe that it's a mistake of the agnecy, but it's my first time with such as delay, so I contacted the agency one more time with a warning, that I will do a negative entry and that they should me explain the situation...
I saw, they have a Blue Board, but first I will see, maybe they will answer for my warning.

Thanks one more time for your replys!
Ann

Vladimir Gurinenko
Local time: 13:13
Russian to English
+ ...
It's typical now Jan 5, 2009

From my own experience, these days it's quite typical for Russian employers, especially from the Moscow region, to delay or even fail to pay. Thus, my wife works for a Moscow-based marketing center as a remote phone interviewer, and she gets paid with an average delay of 3 months or so. What helps with this particular company is dog-hassling their key persons about the money during regular informal conversations over online pagers, skype, phone, etc. and appealing to their conscience rather than to law (Russians aren't the people who can be scared by legal prosecution, especially initiated outside of the country ). The measures advised earlier may be helpful too, but in my opinion you have more chances to get your money quicker when you are friendly.

Spain
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good experience! Jan 5, 2009

Thank you for your reply...smile...

I don't know is typical or not, but I worked several times for Russian agencies and I have really good experiences: good rates, PROFESSIONAL and nice contact.
For this agency I worked 3 times - 2 times payment almost on time, so I hope they can explain me the last delay and just normally pay...

Thanks!
Ann

Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
My 2 cents Jan 6, 2009

Dear Ann,

In my career as a translator (approx. 5 years) I have only encountered a “malicious” late payment issue. Most of the time, at least in my case, clients pay late due to administrative problems.

If you have a good gut feeling about your client (if you think that they don’t want to scam you) maybe you can give them a friendly phone call and ask them what the situation with the payment is.

If nothing happens, then you can resort to the black lists and the blueboard.

Good luck!

Estefanía

[Edited at 2009-01-06 12:15 GMT]

Spain
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Jan 6, 2009

Dear Estefania,

Thank you for your 2 cents!...smile...

Actually I feel I lost contact with teh agency. The last payment should be done befor my travel to Asia, then I came back home later...
However I have very good feeling about this client and I'm sure it's just some mistake of the agency so I will try to contact and give a friendly phone call
Thanks!

Ann

Spain
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The end of the story Jan 7, 2009

Success!!!!
Wow!!!!!!!

Today the agency contacted me with the information, that my PM doesn't work since September, they didn't know about my problems and they will pay immediately.
So, this is the end of the story.
Thank you very much for your attention and your replys.

All the best!
Ann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Late payment from agency, what can I do?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs