Mobile menu

How to receive payment from Japanese customers/agencies (I am US-based)
Thread poster: zephyr
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jan 6, 2009

I have a few questions for US-based translators that provide their services to Japan-based customers or agencies.

1) What is the most typical mode of payment? (I suspect wire transfer)
2) Is there a way for customers/agencies to pay online via credit card (JCB, AMEX etc.)? Are you dinged with significant transaction costs?
3) Are International Postal Money Orders used at all as a mode of payment?
4) In the case of wire transfer payments, who absorbs the cost of payment transmission?
5) Can you share war-stories about the process of getting a "kouza" or account established at an end-customer? (I assume this can be pretty painful)

I am a freelancer looking to do some translation work for my prior employer, a Japanese company. Any pointers will be truly appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote
Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:42
English to Dutch
+ ...
bank transfer Jan 6, 2009

zephyr wrote:
Any pointers...

Typically, I’d say, going from my experience with a Tokyo based translation agency, payment goes as follows:
They pay by bank transfer;
Payment arrives the tenth of any month, provided that day is a working day (in Japan, the US or Europe); if not, it’ll arrive on the first following;
They’ll pay you in USD (or Yen or EUR --being an American you may find this is only natural --it isn’t.)
This’ll cost you as much as your bank charges you for the transfer (with me, it’s a EUR 5 point something fixed fee.)

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to receive payment from Japanese customers/agencies (I am US-based)

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs