How to receive payment from Japanese customers/agencies (I am US-based)
Thread poster: zephyr
zephyr
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jan 6, 2009

I have a few questions for US-based translators that provide their services to Japan-based customers or agencies.

1) What is the most typical mode of payment? (I suspect wire transfer)
2) Is there a way for customers/agencies to pay online via credit card (JCB, AMEX etc.)? Are you dinged with significant transaction costs?
3) Are International Postal Money Orders used at all as a mode of payment?
4) In the case of wire transfer payments, who absorbs the cost of payment transmission?
5) Can you share war-stories about the process of getting a "kouza" or account established at an end-customer? (I assume this can be pretty painful)

I am a freelancer looking to do some translation work for my prior employer, a Japanese company. Any pointers will be truly appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 16:52
English to Dutch
+ ...
bank transfer Jan 6, 2009

zephyr wrote:
Any pointers...

Typically, I’d say, going from my experience with a Tokyo based translation agency, payment goes as follows:
They pay by bank transfer;
Payment arrives the tenth of any month, provided that day is a working day (in Japan, the US or Europe); if not, it’ll arrive on the first following;
They’ll pay you in USD (or Yen or EUR --being an American you may find this is only natural --it isn’t.)
This’ll cost you as much as your bank charges you for the transfer (with me, it’s a EUR 5 point something fixed fee.)

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to receive payment from Japanese customers/agencies (I am US-based)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs