Mobile menu

Forms of Payment for Small Amounts
Thread poster: Sherman Rosen
Sherman Rosen
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jan 29, 2002

My home is Los Angeles and my work is entirely with clients in Sweden. It costs me a total of $28.50 ($18.50 in Sweden and $10 at my bank) to receive a wire money order. For billings under, say, $150, that is just too great a percentage.

I have signed up with PayPal but have not yet used it. What are the alternatives to one of the PayPal-like services for small jobs? Is Western Union viable…or professional? Can I, as an American citizen, open a Sweden-based account of some sort and periodically transfer sums out?

Any insight will be appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Silvia Sinha
Local time: 04:57
English to German
Payment for small amounts Feb 3, 2002

Hi there,

this is the question that keeps me busy, too. I am living in Germany and I have done a job for an US-client a few weeks ago.

When he paid my invoice by bank transfer, he was charged 40$, he said. The invoiced amount was somewhat over 100$.

So, in the view of further jobs, he requested me to consider a PayPal account.

I looked into this PayPal matter, and leaving aside all those warnings, I decided not to sign up since it won\'t help me anything. I need to have a bank account in the States to withdraw money to my own personal German account. That is useless, since I could use that Pay Pal account only for and with other PP-clients to pay bills on such accounts.

I would be very sorry, if I loose this or any customer just because of horrendous bank charges.

Therefore, the question on how to receive payment for small jobs is very interesting to me, too.

Waiting for any advice and many thanks!

Silvia

Anthony Dr. Williams
Austria
Local time: 04:57
German to English
Accumulate Feb 8, 2002

As I have built up a long standing relationship with many of my clients I request that they just let the small sums accumulate until it\'s worth having the fees transfered.

Anthony Williams

Quote:

On 2002-02-03 17:02, silsinha wrote:

Hi there,

this is the question that keeps me busy, too. I am living in Germany and I have done a job for an US-client a few weeks ago.

When he paid my invoice by bank transfer, he was charged 40$, he said. The invoiced amount was somewhat over 100$.

So, in the view of further jobs, he requested me to consider a PayPal account.

I looked into this PayPal matter, and leaving aside all those warnings, I decided not to sign up since it won\'t help me anything. I need to have a bank account in the States to withdraw money to my own personal German account. That is useless, since I could use that Pay Pal account only for and with other PP-clients to pay bills on such accounts.

I would be very sorry, if I loose this or any customer just because of horrendous bank charges.

Therefore, the question on how to receive payment for small jobs is very interesting to me, too.

Waiting for any advice and many thanks!

Silvia

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:57
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
overseas bank account Feb 8, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-29 21:19, Sherm wrote:

Can I, as an American citizen, open a Sweden-based account of some sort and periodically transfer sums out?

I cannot answer for Sweden, but I have had a bank account in Germany (and I live in LA, too, so, HI, neighbor! -- you should have asked this question at the Powwow.) for over 20 years. There is no problem with having the account as long as you answer the questions on the US tax form. If you have more than $10,000 in it, there is a Treasury Dept. form you also need to fill out.

It does make it much easier to accommodate overseas jobs, and now with the Euro, it will be even easier.

As I have a life insurance policy over there, they just automatically take the annual premium from the account. Whenever I have had to put in more money, I just sent an American check and it gets deposited. There are fees, but NOTHING like $40!

Of course, this MAY raise a red flag with the IRS, but it has not done that for me (yet!).

Another possible path is to investigate banks that have branches in the target country. I believe BofA has branches all over, so you might ask if they have any in Sweden and if so, how to handle that type of transaction. It might even be a *FREE* (BofA and free? Nah!) service that they offer their customers.

Just a few thoughts.

HTH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forms of Payment for Small Amounts

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs