Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
How much should you charge for a translation that you've done before?
Thread poster: Hristina Mineva

Hristina Mineva  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:42
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jan 9, 2009

A client is interested in buying from me a translation, which I have done some time ago and is in my database. As this happens to me for the first time, I would like to ask for an advice on how much should I charge for it. Should I also do it per word, per page, or maybe as a percentage of the total price of the translation?

Thank you in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ask for nothing Jan 9, 2009

If that was a good client, and you got paid, I would suggest you give them the translation for nothing. It will be good for your future business.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is it the same client as before? Jan 9, 2009

That's the point. Was the previous translation for the same customer?

Assuming it was and that the text is identical, I would not charge anything. We have these situations a couple of times a year.

Ann Krol  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
I will do the translation second time spcial for this client Jan 9, 2009

Dear Hristina,

I hope your translation project was not confidential ...smile...
Maybe it's crazy, but personally I will do the translation second time, because I think the translation is depended on the target recipient and very induvidual.

With best wishes,
Ann

English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
different client Jan 9, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

That's the point. Was the previous translation for the same customer?

Assuming it was and that the text is identical, I would not charge anything. We have these situations a couple of times a year.

No. It's a driferent client. And I don't think it would be fair to give them the translation for free - provided someone else before had paid for it...

English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nothing confidential Jan 9, 2009

AnKrol wrote:

Dear Hristina,

I hope your translation project was not confidential ...smile...
Maybe it's crazy, but personally I will do the translation second time, because I think the translation is depended on the target recipient and very induvidual.

With best wishes,
Ann

Its an instruction manual, which however is not available in Bulgarian - only I and the client who paid for it have it.

Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
well... Jan 9, 2009

Its an instruction manual, which however is not available in Bulgarian - only I and the client who paid for it have it.

It's not yours. It belongs to the agency that bought it. Is the new client another agency?

[Edited at 2009-01-09 15:16 GMT]

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
The same rate for the new client Jan 9, 2009

How come two different clients have two identical source texts ?

It seems to be some generic instruction manual, in this case ?

He must pay the identical rate. I would also be careful about plagiarism issues, as this somewhat resembles selling copyrights.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
interesting situation Jan 9, 2009

Did the client know that you already had the translation when the job came up?

I would probably proofread it once again and charge about 10 or 20%, or give it away free if it is a client I appreciate for some reason.

English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not a translation agency Jan 9, 2009

Paola Dentifrigi wrote:

It's not yours. It belongs to the agency that bought it. Is the new client another agency?

[Edited at 2009-01-09 15:16 GMT]

Both companies have nothing to do with translations. They just happen to need the instructions on how to use a specific equipment. The first company paid for the translation so now they have the instructions only for their personal use and it's not publicly available.

Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
then Jan 9, 2009

I guess you should resell it. I don't see why you should give it to them for free or offer a discount
Let's see what the others say.

[Edited at 2009-01-09 15:25 GMT]

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:42
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge fully for it Jan 9, 2009

If you go to your local book store to buy a book, the cashier doesn't tell you to take it for free because another customer already paid for it, does he/she?

[Edited at 2009-01-09 17:30 GMT]

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Different clients? Jan 9, 2009

Charge the full rate, of course. Take this as an opportunity to look carefully at your previous work and improve on it where you can.

I have been in a similar situation in a number of cases in the past where an end client hires several agencies to see which is "best" (and both send the job to me) or one end client plagiarizes from another. Particularly with regard to legal boilerplate I have seen a lot of text where the original source is obviously a major corporation which is served by many others as suppliers, and these suppliers use the major company's legal texts as the basis for their own. Why should I reward their plagiarism with a lower rate? In the cases of the parallel-running jobs, I've given each of my clients my best effort and used alternative formulations that I had considered and which are basically equivalent. I consider it an interesting experiment to see which version is received best.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:42
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Price of a software? Jan 9, 2009

I understand that price for the same job for another client is same.
It is like I go and purchase a copy of computer software. I and the first (or other users) pay for the same price.
Your profit in this job is your intellectual right. It is reasonable to get paid with less labor.

Soonthon L.

Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:42
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
agree with AnKrol Jan 9, 2009

Re-do -- or should I say "re-run" -- the translation. You may or may not find something to correct or improve, or just change, for whatever reason -- but this is another client and another job, with full responsibility. Imagine you start a new translation and each segment just happens to have a 100% match in your TM.

Then sell it for whatever price you find appropriate in your unique circumstances -- anything between your 100% match rate and full rate... or beyond that range. It's your business decision. Offer a discount if you want to make this client happy. Don't offer a disount if you want to make happy yourself. Whatever your have in your TMs is your capital that you have earned and are entitled to use for your benefit -- to get more money for less work, or to attract more business by giving discounts -- whatever you want and need. Say, if it was another model of the same device, and the match was 75% rather than 100, would you charge 25% less? If it was 30% match? You get the idea...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should you charge for a translation that you've done before?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs