Thread poster: Mary Worby

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:42
German to English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2002

Dear All,

I have been known to use the Companies House website (http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/info/) to check up on potential customers, etc. The information there is not extensive, but it gives you an idea of how long a company\'s been going, etc. You can also order copies of more detailed accounts if you feel the need.

Does anybody know of similar resources in other countries (specifically Germany for me, but I\'m sure others will be useful to others as well!)

Thanks in advance

Mary

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxwilliamson
Local time: 17:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
IHK Jan 30, 2002

Is the \"Industrie und Handelskammer\" (IHK) of every district in Germany not the institution to turn to if you want information about a particular company?

Restituta Castiello
English to Italian
www.infomprese.it Jan 30, 2002

In Italy we have this site. It is linked to the \"camera di commercio e dell\'artigianato\" Thanks for your precious information. Is there any alike site also in USA?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-30 14:31 ]

Uwe Schwenk
Local time: 10:42
English to German
Checking out a company Jan 30, 2002

In the USA we habe the Better Business Bureau under http://www.bbb.org/

Another option would also be the Chamber of Commerce.

Uwe

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
How to use such pages? Jan 30, 2002

Do you just mass-mail companies in your area that might need translation services?

VBaby
English to French
+ ...
Registre du commerce Jan 30, 2002

For France, you can try www.societe.com, which lists official data from the Registre du commerce.

xxxJon Zuber
Spanish to English
+ ...
The US equivalent is the Better Business Bureau. Jan 30, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-30 14:28, pascicutte wrote:

In Italy we have this site. It is linked to the \"camera di commercio e dell\'artigianato\" Thanks for your precious information. Is there any alike site also in USA?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-30 14:31 ]

www.bbb.org

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to use the sites ... Jan 31, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-30 19:31, ruella wrote:

Do you just mass-mail companies in your area that might need translation services?

I haven\'t got experience using any of the other sites, but I tend to use the Companies House site for specific enquiries about single companies. So if Jo Bloggs Translations Ltd rings me up and asks me to do some work, I\'ll use the site to check that they genuinely exist, have been up and running for a while and generally have their house in order.

HTH

Mary

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
company searches Feb 4, 2002

After having worked in the City of London (shipping insurance) and near the Inns of Court (for an accountancy professional body), I have spent more time than is decent carrying out company searches. That was a while back though before the internet made the whole thing much easier. One warning though, bear in mind that the accounts to which you will have access are geenrally two years behind - and that it does not take two years for a healthy company to have problems and go belly up!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Companies House Website (UK)

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs