Mobile menu

Advice on Voice Over rates: by material or total time spent?
Thread poster: Abha

Local time: 18:56
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jan 20, 2009

Any talents located in USA- could you please let me know what would one charge ballpark for voiceover? Do yo charge by the extent of material or total time spent? Kindly fill me in , if you know.
If you are not in USA, I'd still like to know what you got paid for such a job.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-01-20 02:45 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's a matter of risk Jan 20, 2009

Assuming you are the voice-over artist, if you charge on a per-word basis, the risk is yours, if you charge on a per-hour of work basis, the risk is the client's.

It all depends on how good you are. I'll give you an example. Once I was in a meeting with one of the of the highest-regarded voice artists in Brazil, a dubber, dubbing director, etc. The fax machine rang, and he received a text. Then the client called, asking if it would fit into a 30-sec radio announcement. The dubber asked me if I could stopwatch him, and I agreed. He briefly examined the text, thought for a moment, and read it aloud. I timed him at 29.97 secs on his first, unrehearsed attempt. A less-experienced one might have taken a few trials to get it to the right speed.

Of course, if the text is sync-ed to some video or Flash presentation, has pauses etc. it won't be as straightforward, so some rework might be needed (more expensive). Apart from that, what counts is your experience and skill.

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 00:56
German to English
Hourly in USA with minimum charge Jan 20, 2009

Depending on the material, you may have to run through the script several times in order to hit timing marks, etc. Voice-over work is much harder than you might think.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on Voice Over rates: by material or total time spent?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs