Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:12
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2009

I just ran across an Israel-based automated translation agency that offers translation in as little as an hour. "Translation services are usually costly; so many people do away with translations. XXXXXX lowers these costs dramatically."

Translators are invited to log-on and they pay the same rate no matter what the subject or language pair. Here are their rates (10,000 words for $300 - how very sad). From this measly .03 a word, you also have to deduct PayPal fees and you only get paid if the client says that they are satisfied.

"We pay a fixed price according to the number of words you translate, no matter which language is being translated and into which language. The customer declares the amount of words to be translated. You translate exactly this number of words.
You earn:

100 words - 3 US$
250 words - 7.5 US$
500 words - 15 US$
750 words - 22.5 US$
1,000 words - 30 US$
5,000 words - 150 US$
10,000 words - 300 US$ "

[Edited at 2009-01-23 20:13 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translations while you wait Jan 23, 2009

It is unfortunate that because of lunacy like this all over the internet, we have to spend extra time educating clients that you cannot get a good translation for $3.00 and educating new and potential translators that they are working for crumbs.

[Edited at 2009-01-23 19:56 GMT]

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:12
Italian to English
The Babelfish syndrome Jan 23, 2009

Hi Jeff,

This company is merely offering a slower, more expensive version of the free, instant translation service available from Babelfish.

If you find you have to educate your customers on the topic, you might need to refresh your client portfolio

Remember that your serious customers aren't looking for any old translation: they want *your* translation. They already know how good you are and are willing to pay for what you can do.

Giles

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
Not like making keys Jan 23, 2009

Many years ago when I still had a listed telephone number (and translated personal documents), I'd get frequent requests for translations while the client waited ("but it's only a couple of pages"). Some even wanted pickup and delivery service.

That convinced me to quit using the yellow pages. My land line number is still listed on some old translators' directories, but only established clients can reach me by phone as I have a separate number for incoming calls.

darkokoporcic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2005)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
A good point Jan 24, 2009

Giles Watson wrote:

If you find you have to educate your customers on the topic, you might need to refresh your client portfolio

Giles

Exactly. If you owned a gourmet restaurant, would you educate people in the street that a proper lunch cannot be replaced by a candy bar? Those are no customers.

Have a nice weekend!

[Edited at 2009-01-24 08:40 GMT]

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 10:12
Turkish to English
+ ...
It is possible Jan 24, 2009

Several years ago a client turned up at my house with a brief official document which he wanted me to translate while he waited. I was able to oblige and received instant payment. This isn't the way I am accustomed to working, but it can be done.

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, you are right Jan 24, 2009

I just met with a new direct client this afternoon regarding a 24,000 word project. He said that he did have quotes that were 40% lower than mine, but that he preferred to give the job to someone locally and to someone he could meet face to face.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
the point Jan 25, 2009

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
I just met with a new direct client this afternoon regarding a 24,000 word project. He said that he did have quotes that were 40% lower than mine, but that he preferred to give the job to someone locally and to someone he could meet face to face.

Jeff, I’m sorry, but I think you still miss the point – it is not about meeting somebody face to face, but about the quality of service provided.
regards, Ewa

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course Jan 25, 2009

That is obvious and goes without saying.

Evonymus wrote:

Jeff, I’m sorry, but I think you still miss the point – it is not about meeting somebody face to face, but about the quality of service provided.
regards, Ewa

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:12
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Useful URL Jan 25, 2009

Jeff, maybe you should post the URL so we can use it for referrals. If some customer calls and really insists on rock-bottom prices, we could simply send 'em there, just like some do with that Vindaloo link

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please do not post links to outsourcers Jan 25, 2009

Please do not post any links to outsourcers. The forums are not the place for identifying/discussing specific outsourcers.

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Jeff, maybe you should post the URL so we can use it for referrals. If some customer calls and really insists on rock-bottom prices, we could simply send 'em there, just like some do with that Vindaloo link

Milos Prudek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Google to the rescue Feb 11, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
Jeff, maybe you should post the URL so we can use it for referrals.

Well Jeff Whittaker quoted a few sentences from their website. Just google one of the sentences. Then click on the top Google result (until the company in question changes the wording on their website).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translations while you wait

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs