Sandrine Zérouali  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 18:33
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jan 27, 2009

Hello,

I am a new translator and I would like to receive my payments via paypal or moneybookers but I don't know wich one to choose?
Can you give the inconvenients and advantage of each one? I would like to know how it works with the customers, what sort of information I have to give them? Account number???
Thank you very much in advance.

Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 21:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
For Middle East countries, MoneyBookers is much better Jan 27, 2009

... because PayPal service in Middle East countries is limited. As far as I know, you will not be able to withdraw money to your bank account. Check this issue before you open an account.

I am a very happy user of MoneyBookers and their support is good. I found several people complaining about PayPal and their support.

Best regards

Waleed

Ulf Norlinger
Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:33
English to Swedish
+ ...
MoneyBooker has a better verification system Jan 27, 2009

When you verify a bank account on Moneybooker you can do it instantly. Though with PayPal you have to wait until it is recognized at you bank (which can take several days).

As Waleed I have a better experience with Moneybooker.

Sandrine Zérouali
Algeria
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 27, 2009

for your comments!

What sort of information do Moneybookers or Paypal need? They need our bank account number? Do we have to give the card number to them, if I have one? How it works with the customer?

What information do I have to give to my customer to receive the payment? MB or PP account number? My email?

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You only have to give the customer the e-mail address Jan 27, 2009

Hi Sandrine,

You write on your invoice the e-mail address which you gave to Paypal or Moneybookers (as the case may be). You do not need to give the customer any other information.

Astrid

P.S. As for Moneybookers and PayPal, yes, they need information about your bank account, including the number. Before your account with Moneybookers and/or PayPal becomes active, they need to verify the details of your bank account. They will tell you themselves how
... See more
Hi Sandrine,

You write on your invoice the e-mail address which you gave to Paypal or Moneybookers (as the case may be). You do not need to give the customer any other information.

Astrid

P.S. As for Moneybookers and PayPal, yes, they need information about your bank account, including the number. Before your account with Moneybookers and/or PayPal becomes active, they need to verify the details of your bank account. They will tell you themselves how they will do that and what you need to do, for your part.

[Edited at 2009-01-27 21:23 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
That is a very good question... Jan 27, 2009

Sandrine Zérouali wrote:
What sort of information do Moneybookers or Paypal need? They need our bank account number? Do we have to give the card number to them, if I have one?

I have no idea where one might be able to find this information. Perhaps the MB or PayPal web site has this information, but one can never be sure, right?

Humour aside, your question is not stupid, however. There are many tales of MB or PP suddenly requiring additional information from account holders at odd times. I know that MB has a fairly long application process -- perhaps the same is true for PP. I think the only way to find out, is to just register... and make sure MB or PP is not your only source of income, in case they decide to freeze your account until you've submitted yet another piece of proof.

How it works with the customer? What information do I have to give to my customer to receive the payment? MB or PP account number? My email?

Well, I suggest you give half your clients your e-mail address, and the other half your MB or PP account number, and see which half pays. When you have discovered the answer, please let us know.

But seriously, I don't know if MB or PP comes with an additional account number of sorts, that you can use to get payment. I've always just given clients my MB e-mail address, and so far it's worked.

As for your original question (the first post) my suggestion is to join both.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is this a shorcut? Jan 27, 2009

Sandrine Zérouali wrote:
What sort of information do Moneybookers or Paypal need? They need our bank account number? Do we have to give the card number to them, if I have one? How it works with the customer?

What information do I have to give to my customer to receive the payment? MB or PP account number? My email?

Sandrine,

Have you bothered visiting Paypal and Moneybookers sites at all? That`s the first place to go. You may find the replies to most of these questions over there (don`t forget to check the FAQ).

What we can give you here are personal opinions, advice, tell you about our own experiences.

But requirements and procedures are better described on each site. You should read, take notes, compare and make your first draft of a choice.

Yes, that takes some time. But you are investing your time on your business. And one should do his/her own homework before asking for help, am I right?

I would also suggest you browse this site, Proz.com, on this subject. There are several threads on PP and MB that you might find very helpful too.

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Moneybookers Jan 27, 2009

Hello,

Moneybookers is better as it offers a wider perspective for people outside the US. Especially Algeria where you can't receive money via paypal which makes it useless...

Regards,

Moh

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Easy! Jan 27, 2009

Sandrine Zérouali wrote:

for your comments!

To receive payments you just need to give the email you used to the client.

They check your identity via (passeport+residence) and they accept the documents in Arabic.

They check your bank account via documentation or if you withdraw or send money from/to it.

With paypal things are more complicated ...

The best solution would be to have a Bank account in Europe and to link it...

Regards,

Moh

Sandrine Zérouali
Algeria
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 28, 2009

Good afternoon,

I went to both website, I visited a little bit but right I didn't go to their FAQ. I am going to.
Concerning my sources of income, when you mean it shouldn't be the only one source of income (PP or MB), you mean I have to have some transfers in my banking account?

Nikolaj Widenmann
Nikolaj Widenmann
United States
Local time: 11:33
Member (2007)
Danish to English
+ ...
Moneybookers does not work in the US Jan 28, 2009

A few months ago Moneybookers stopped servicing clients in the US, so if you currently have or plan to get any US-based clients, Moneybookers is no longer an option. They haven't actually closed my account; I just can't use it for sending or receiving any funds. Luckily I had a zero balance when that change took place.

I haven't experienced any problems with Paypal thus far. For larger amounts, though, you may want to consider a wire transfer as it might be the most cost-effective o
... See more
A few months ago Moneybookers stopped servicing clients in the US, so if you currently have or plan to get any US-based clients, Moneybookers is no longer an option. They haven't actually closed my account; I just can't use it for sending or receiving any funds. Luckily I had a zero balance when that change took place.

I haven't experienced any problems with Paypal thus far. For larger amounts, though, you may want to consider a wire transfer as it might be the most cost-effective option.
Collapse

Florian Willer
Florian Willer  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:33
Member (2006)
English to German
moneybookers going down? Feb 4, 2009

I have preferred MoneyBookers over PayPal the last few years because I thought they had better service, their fees are lower overall and they give better exchange rates (lower "penalties").

Having said this, I will probably not use their service anymore and revert to PayPal or other providers in the future as MoneyBookers has blocked my account for no obvious reason and keeps asking me for official company documents to verify my "business" that I cannot produce as a freelancer. The
... See more
I have preferred MoneyBookers over PayPal the last few years because I thought they had better service, their fees are lower overall and they give better exchange rates (lower "penalties").

Having said this, I will probably not use their service anymore and revert to PayPal or other providers in the future as MoneyBookers has blocked my account for no obvious reason and keeps asking me for official company documents to verify my "business" that I cannot produce as a freelancer. Their support is no help as it became very slow all of a sudden and they keep asking the same questions. I guess nobody reads my replies. I have a substantial amount in my MoneyBookers account that they do not let me access before they receive documents I cannot produce. This has been going on for so long that I get the impression it is part of the business model. The problem is similar to what others describe for the US, but I am based in Germany.

For larger amounts and/or regular payments I would use wire transfer or services such as xe.com or Ruesch International.
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not to my knowledge Feb 4, 2009

Florian Willer wrote:

moneybookers going down?

My educated guess as to why Moneybookers can no longer be used in the US:

UK based Moneybookers accepts payments to and from betting/gambling companies (I think you'll find that US based PayPal doesn't).

The betting/gambling industry is heavily regulated in the US. AFAIK it's illegal for US citizens to use non-US based companies. By extension, it's illegal for both US and non-US companies to facilitate this activity. (I can't remember off-hand which foreign company had a director/exec or two arrested on a stopover in Miami).

So maybe the directors/execs of Moneybookers have decided that they might want to take their kids to Disneyworld one day.

The basis for my educated guess? My in-house company has a few betting sites which do not accept US clients...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal or Moneybookers???

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »