How to charge for translation+research?
Thread poster: mediko06
mediko06
mediko06
Türkiye
Local time: 23:05
English to Turkish
Feb 3, 2009

I have been asked to make a rate proposal to conduct a market research in my country. The research includes contacting and interviewing separate company authorities to fill out a questionnaire
(Translating the questionnaire and the respondents’ answers as well, of course). They are asking for at least three questionnaires to be completed.
I have conducted several researches in the past and I was paid monthly then since the job included not only market research but translation and
... See more
I have been asked to make a rate proposal to conduct a market research in my country. The research includes contacting and interviewing separate company authorities to fill out a questionnaire
(Translating the questionnaire and the respondents’ answers as well, of course). They are asking for at least three questionnaires to be completed.
I have conducted several researches in the past and I was paid monthly then since the job included not only market research but translation and interpretation during contract signing, telephone calls etc.
Can you please advise on how to make a decent rate proposal for such an assignment? Should I give a daily or hourly rate and how should I calculate it?
Thank you all in advance for your replies.
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 13:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
Charge an hourly rate for your professional services Feb 3, 2009

Greetings.

In view of those two different functions which that firm is requesting you to provide, charge an hourly rate for your professional services.

For work during late hours or weekends, add 20% to your fee schedule.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:05
Turkish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Hourly rate should suffice Feb 3, 2009

I would go with an hourly rate also on a currency agreed by both of you, you can calculate a daily rate based on the hourly rate. Based on the job, you can either do a discount (if the customer has many hours planned) or a premium (rush hours or weekend hours).
Hayirli isler

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree. Hourly rate. Feb 4, 2009

Cheers everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for translation+research?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »