Kobe Vander Beken
Kobe Vander Beken  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:53
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 4, 2009

Hi all,

I've been asked to provide a quote for a translation of more or less 60,000 characters (including spaces). I really don't have any idea of how many words/pages this would be, which makes it difficult to quote.
I've been searching forum threads and I have read several things, which makes it even more difficult.

Could it be that 1,600 characters (including spaces) equals 1 page? Or is it 1,800 characters (including spaces)?

I asked for a word c
... See more
Hi all,

I've been asked to provide a quote for a translation of more or less 60,000 characters (including spaces). I really don't have any idea of how many words/pages this would be, which makes it difficult to quote.
I've been searching forum threads and I have read several things, which makes it even more difficult.

Could it be that 1,600 characters (including spaces) equals 1 page? Or is it 1,800 characters (including spaces)?

I asked for a word count, but for some reason the client can't give an exact (or estimated) word count.

Thanks for your help,

Kobe
Collapse

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
The law of averages Feb 4, 2009

Hi Kobe,

I'm pretty sure this is going to change depending on the source language you work with.

The best bet is to take a few texts that you think may be representative (if you don't already have a software program to do this) and compare the character count with the word count, for example using the statistics provided by Word.

[example: Document with 502 words, the same document has 3759 characters not incl. spaces. 3759/502 = average word length of 7.5
... See more
Hi Kobe,

I'm pretty sure this is going to change depending on the source language you work with.

The best bet is to take a few texts that you think may be representative (if you don't already have a software program to do this) and compare the character count with the word count, for example using the statistics provided by Word.

[example: Document with 502 words, the same document has 3759 characters not incl. spaces. 3759/502 = average word length of 7.5 characters per word. Including spaces is 4230/502 = 8.4]

You can work out the "average" number of characters per word, and then divide your 60,000 character count by this number. It will at least get you in the ball park.

[Example: 60,000/8.4 = 7143 words]
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:53
German to English
+ ...
characters/word is highly language dependent... Feb 4, 2009

... and to a lesser degree dependent on the subject and writing style.

It's dead easy to determine the average number of characters per word for a given text by using the word count statistics reported by Word. and there are other tools available (such as PractiCount) that can generate count statistics for sets of documents.

The number of words per page is highly variable from one document to the next and is generally not a reliable way of estimating the size of a job.<
... See more
... and to a lesser degree dependent on the subject and writing style.

It's dead easy to determine the average number of characters per word for a given text by using the word count statistics reported by Word. and there are other tools available (such as PractiCount) that can generate count statistics for sets of documents.

The number of words per page is highly variable from one document to the next and is generally not a reliable way of estimating the size of a job.

FWIW, I usually figure around 6.3 characters per word in English and around 8 characters per word in German.
Collapse

Henrique Mariotto
Henrique Mariotto  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:53
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
180 words equals 1 lauda (page) in Brazil Feb 4, 2009

In Brazil, most translators who still count the text in words use a block of 180 words as 1 unit (lauda, or page).
However, people who translate from Portuguese to German end up losing money because of the long words, often comprised of what would be four different words in other languages.
The other counting method we use here is 1,000 characters without spaces as 1 'page'.
So, 1,000 characters or 180 words would be very approximate in Portuguese as 1 'page'.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:53
German to English
Approximate valuie Feb 4, 2009

Kobe Vander Beken wrote:

Hi all,

Lines of 50 or 55 characters are very much standard here in Germany. Our experience is that, on average, narrative English text in the financial/legal field has 7.5 words per 50 characters (incl. spaces).

HTH,
Robin

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:53
German to English
FeeWizard Feb 4, 2009

If, like me, you like to think and quote in terms of a wordcount, you'll probably find the free online tool called FeeWizard helpful - it converts character counts (with or without spaces) into word counts, and vice versa, for different languages. You can find it here:
http://www.amtrad.it/feewizardol.php

Miomira Brankovic
Miomira Brankovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
60,000 characters = app. 32 pages = app. 8,800 words Feb 5, 2009

Hi Kobe!
Here in Serbia we are used to measuring the length of texts in pages/characters, with one standard page (called journalist’s or author’s page) having 1800 characters with spaces. That is a legacy from the time of manual typewriters, when anyone who was writing anything for further publication was supposed to deliver the text neatly typewritten on A4 paper with double spacing and about one inch margin on all sides. Such format was practical as it provided sufficient room for ed
... See more
Hi Kobe!
Here in Serbia we are used to measuring the length of texts in pages/characters, with one standard page (called journalist’s or author’s page) having 1800 characters with spaces. That is a legacy from the time of manual typewriters, when anyone who was writing anything for further publication was supposed to deliver the text neatly typewritten on A4 paper with double spacing and about one inch margin on all sides. Such format was practical as it provided sufficient room for editing. That came up to approximately 60 characters per line and 30 lines per page = 1800 characters per page with spaces.
Based on my experience with English texts in the economic/legal field, there are some 6.8-6.9 characters per word. You should work out your own average based on the source language and similar kind of text as Janet has proposed. My estimate in the title is only very rough guideline.

[Edited at 2009-02-05 14:27 GMT]
Collapse

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
I agree Feb 5, 2009

Miomira Brankovic wrote:

60,000 characters = app. 32 pages = app. 8,800 words

[Edited at 2009-02-05 14:27 GMT]

I agree. In an English text, 1800 characters with spaces or 1500 characters without spaces = 250 to 300 words.

EC Translation DG measures 1500 characters (without spaces) as 1 page.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Equivalent of characters (including spaces) in words

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »