Isabelita Echevarria Prengel
Isabelita Echevarria Prengel  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:08
German to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 8, 2009

Dear all,

I need to know how to make a proper invoice which needs to be done in the United Kingdom for a Spanish translation agency. They told me to just invoice the netto amount of the job, no VAT and no single tax on individuals (IRPF) necessary, but I am not sure about the tax ID. Do I have to use my passport number at this point?

Thank you in advance for answering my question,

Isabel

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If you are a Spanish national... Feb 8, 2009

...it would be your NIF. Otherwise I'd use the same number you use as your VAT ID to invoice other European customers.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:08
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Social security number? Feb 8, 2009

I don't know about Spain specifically, but this is accepted in Germany.

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to Jack's comment Feb 8, 2009

Hello Jack,

Thank you very much for your prompt answer. You are right. The Spanish NIF is the Social Security number in your country, but I assume it is not the same number as the number shown on the passport, is that correct?

I need to tell my friend to use the Social Security Number then, and thank you once more for your very useful information.

Have a nice day,

Isabelle

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
To Isabelita Feb 8, 2009

You are right. The passport number is different, and the social security number is not shown on the passport.

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Jack Feb 8, 2009

If that works for Germany, it should work for Spain as well. Will try to find a sample invoice for individuals in the UK invoicing a translation service to Spain.

Have a great week,

Isabelle

Alexandra Beisl
Alexandra Beisl  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
UTR for self empoyed resident in Britain for tax purposes Feb 8, 2009

Hi there

If the person is resident in the UK for tax purpose and they file their tax return in Britain they should have a unique tax reference number from the Inland Revenue as self employed persons (UTR) and put their address in the UK on the invoice. If they are resident in Spain for tax purposes but only in Britain temporarily then the NIF should apply plus their address in Spain. Passport numbers should be irrelevant here.

Regards

Alex

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
NIF is not the same as passport number Feb 8, 2009

Isabelita wrote:
Thank you very much for your prompt answer. You are right. The Spanish NIF is the Social Security number in your country, but I assume it is not the same number as the number shown on the passport, is that correct?

Exactly. Passport number does not match the NIF in Spain.

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Tax in the UK Feb 8, 2009

Hi,

As far as I am aware, if you pay taxes in the UK and do not charge/pay VAT, then I don't think you need to give any number on your invoice. The tax reference number you have if you are a UK tax payer is only needed in correspondence between the translator and the tax authorities and not required by the Spanish agency. I may be wrong, but that is what I've been told.

However, to be sure you are doing the right thing, I suggest you contact your local tax authorities i
... See more
Hi,

As far as I am aware, if you pay taxes in the UK and do not charge/pay VAT, then I don't think you need to give any number on your invoice. The tax reference number you have if you are a UK tax payer is only needed in correspondence between the translator and the tax authorities and not required by the Spanish agency. I may be wrong, but that is what I've been told.

However, to be sure you are doing the right thing, I suggest you contact your local tax authorities in the UK and ask them what they think.

Good luck!

Sheila
Collapse

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Alex Feb 8, 2009

Hello,

are you sure about that UTR number? I am getting sort of confused. My friend is British and resident in the United Kingdom, that is the case. And I can only tell him to do the invoices the way we'd do them the other way round from Spain to the United Kingdom, and we do have the NIF, as you know.

Is the UTR number the equivalent to our NIF in Spain? *argh

Isa

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to you all! Feb 8, 2009

Whatever, I appreciate your help, and I wished it was as easy as Sheila explained.

Isabelle

simona dachille
simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
sheila is right Feb 8, 2009

Sheila is right. I invoice Italy for my work and have never been asked for any number of the sort.

Alexandra Beisl
Alexandra Beisl  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
UTR Feb 9, 2009

As far as I am aware the UTR is equivalent to the NIF, however, invoicing from the UK in the past, I never had to include it on any invoices myself. Now that I life in Spain, I do however, always have to include my NIF (or NIE has happens to be the case as a foreigner), whether I invoice to companies outside of Spain with no VAT or within Spain with VAT. Spanish agencies can be particular because the Hacienda can be quite demanding as far as officialdom is concerned...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing from UK to Spain

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »