Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:54
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Where do you get "censorship" from? Feb 24, 2009

Rui de Carvalho wrote:
And as we see with Liv's comments, censorship is a now prevailing activity in this site

What makes you arrive at this sweeping generalisation? Liv's comments provide no hint to "censorship" whatsoever.

Steffen

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:54
German to English
+ ...
Rather good value on the whole Feb 24, 2009

The BB continues to be a feature of the site I value most, though I rely on it much less these days. I don't expect perfection in anything, but on the whole it has been an accurate reflection of the payment practices and "karma" of agencies, especially where there is a large number of entries. Since discovering other channels, such as the German Zahlungspraxis list, I've "broadened" my original "check the BB and go for it" approach, but I actually never got burned by relying on the BB alone. On ... See more
The BB continues to be a feature of the site I value most, though I rely on it much less these days. I don't expect perfection in anything, but on the whole it has been an accurate reflection of the payment practices and "karma" of agencies, especially where there is a large number of entries. Since discovering other channels, such as the German Zahlungspraxis list, I've "broadened" my original "check the BB and go for it" approach, but I actually never got burned by relying on the BB alone. On the contrary, I feel it has helped me avoid some potentially bad business relationships.

As for how high or low a rate of payment is, I don't see this as a function of the BB. If a translator wants to include that in the score (which, after all, reflects willingness to continue the relationship), there is nothing wrong with that, and sometimes even with a 5 score there may be a remark about low rates (I think I may have done this myself a few times). I think any agency which meets the contractual commitments deserves a score in the 3 to 5 range, but the actual number should reflect the overall quality of the relationship and true willingness to continue it. A nice company with interesting projects and 45 to 60 day payment terms will never get a 5 from me. Not these days anyway. Their best score will be a 4, which will be upgraded as soon as they go to 30 days or better and stay there. The occasional payment passing the 30 day mark will not cause me to downgrade a fun outsourcer who is always honest, always pays and manages projects well. That one is a clear 5.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very valuable! Feb 24, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:
A UK agency with 195 entries in the Blueboard is currently hiring English into German External Quality Managers offering a standard rate of $20/hour for External Quality Management.
To make it clear right from the start, I do not want to kick-off a whining discussion about ridiculous rates. Rather, it's about the real value of the Blueboard. It is of little value to me. What are your experiences?
Thanks, Aniello

To me, the matter is clear: a good BlueBoard record indicates that the company keeps its promises, and that's all I need to know from BlueBoard.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why don't you add them? Feb 24, 2009

Rod Walters wrote:
My best clients aren't on there.

But you have the option to add them! I have added at least one customer to provide good feedback about her, as useful information for the community.

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:54
Japanese to English
Reasons Feb 24, 2009

Tomás, I expect if you put yourself in my shoes for a few moments, you could probably think of at least 3 good reasons why not.

One thing I wonder about 'adding outsourcers' is whether professional courtesy requires asking them first. I rather think it does. Since many of them extend the most elaborate courtesies to me, I would hesitate just to 'bung 'em up' like that.

I like communities, I like helping out colleagues where I can, and I've organized unions to encourage
... See more
Tomás, I expect if you put yourself in my shoes for a few moments, you could probably think of at least 3 good reasons why not.

One thing I wonder about 'adding outsourcers' is whether professional courtesy requires asking them first. I rather think it does. Since many of them extend the most elaborate courtesies to me, I would hesitate just to 'bung 'em up' like that.

I like communities, I like helping out colleagues where I can, and I've organized unions to encourage solidarity ... but the BB is something I still have doubts about.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fully understand! Feb 24, 2009

Rod Walters wrote:

I fully understand and agree. Asking them first is a must.

However, I am sure you do check the BlueBoard when some prospect comes around via Proz. And being able to check is also the result of others adding their customers and comments...

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:54
German to English
+ ...
Rod's reasons Feb 24, 2009

I think Rod mentioned somewhere else that a lot of his customers are Japanese corporate direct clients. Maybe I misunderstood that. But if that is correct, I think it would be highly inappropriate and rude of him to enter them without permission, and I can't see any reason why he would want to enter them anyway. There is no compelling reason to do so, many reasons not to (direct client poaching is perhaps a legitimate concern, though how one should go about poaching "Toyota" is anyone's guess). ... See more
I think Rod mentioned somewhere else that a lot of his customers are Japanese corporate direct clients. Maybe I misunderstood that. But if that is correct, I think it would be highly inappropriate and rude of him to enter them without permission, and I can't see any reason why he would want to enter them anyway. There is no compelling reason to do so, many reasons not to (direct client poaching is perhaps a legitimate concern, though how one should go about poaching "Toyota" is anyone's guess).

I might look at agencies another way and simply enter them, since they deal with any number of translators, and I think a thumbs up or thumbs down without prior discussion is probably OK. But I say that for the cultures I deal with these days; my memories of dealing with Japanese two decades ago and before that tell me that these rules may not apply where he plays. I was often amazed at what was considered subject to approval, but hey, "when in Rome..." or Kyoto or wherever....
Collapse

Bentext
Bentext  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Good value in general Feb 24, 2009

But not always reliable (like any other rating system) – one of my most reliable clients has an extremely bad Blue Board rating and is banned from posting jobs on Proz.com. And vice versa, one nightmarish Canadian agency which owed me many thousands of Euros for almost a year has an average score of 5.

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
Love it Feb 24, 2009

I use it all the time. I find the comments most helpful - for instance, a new customer I checked recently had a rating of 5 from almost everyone, yet every single person said they had to hassle and hassle to receive payment, which eventually came months late. Yet, as the agency staff were friendly this was excused. Not in my book!
So, reading the comments is a great help for me to find out who I'm likely to be dealing with.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same situation here Feb 25, 2009

Bentext wrote:
But not always reliable (like any other rating system) – one of my most reliable clients has an extremely bad Blue Board rating and is banned from posting jobs on Proz.com. And vice versa, one nightmarish Canadian agency which owed me many thousands of Euros for almost a year has an average score of 5.

Indeed, this is what happens with one of our customers. Ratings in past years are awful, but ever since we work for this customer (and it's a couple of years already), everything runs smoothly with them. So I recently added a very good comment about them. Their current rating is simply unfair according to my experience.

However, it's good that incorrect practices are reported and stay there for some time, as a way to help outsourcers correct their weaknesses in their relations with translators.

Maria Jovino
Maria Jovino  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to French
+ ...
Valuable although not completely reliable Nov 25, 2009

I find the BB quite valuable, to determine general patterns of payments.

Yet, dubious outsourcers or so-called "agencies" that have very basic, incomplete web sites, can still be banned from this site and reappear here with another agency name, which this time gets good grading on BB! So, what can we believe?

The same dubious agency is not improving its practice codes, since it is still posting so-called jobs using its old name, on other sites and tricks translators int
... See more
I find the BB quite valuable, to determine general patterns of payments.

Yet, dubious outsourcers or so-called "agencies" that have very basic, incomplete web sites, can still be banned from this site and reappear here with another agency name, which this time gets good grading on BB! So, what can we believe?

The same dubious agency is not improving its practice codes, since it is still posting so-called jobs using its old name, on other sites and tricks translators into doing unpaid tests, one site after the other. Of course, after submitting the test, you never hear from them again! They can translate their whole text like this for free...They change their name, but on the same day, you see the same project name, with the same 300 words test required (probably different part of the text). appearing on different translation sites.

And their new agency is very well quoted on the BB..
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The real value of the Blueboard

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »