Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:07
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 24, 2009

Hi all!

A client offered to send money via Moneygram.
Do any of you have any experience using their service? Is it reliable?

Thanks a lot
Marina

[Edited at 2009-02-24 11:37 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Luís E. dos Santos
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Feb 24, 2009

I've been receiving money from an Argentine translation agency through Money Gram for over five years and have never had any problem.

Stephen Gobin
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:07
German to English
+ ...
Moneygram Feb 24, 2009

Hello Marina

When I was studying for my MA in translation, I also worked part-time for a foreign exchange company, which offered a Moneygram service to customers.

The service itself is reliable, but the transfer fees that the sender has to pay are expensive. The reason for the high fees is because you are paying for an instant transfer of money: the money is available for the recipient to pick up the very moment the transfer has been processed/sent by the transfer clerk. The fees are on a sliding scale too, so if larger amounts are sent, the fees increase accordingly. The starting rate for fees is rather high as well, so the transfer fees for modest amounts can be equally prohibitive. From my experience, the service is mainly used to get money to people in a hurry while overseas in cases where the recipient has run out of ready cash or may have been mugged or lost their purses/wallets/bank or credit cards. Some people use Moneygram to buy goods or services or to send money back home to their families in another country.

If you decide to use this service, you will need to know whether your client will be paying the transfer fees or whether he/she will deduct them from your invoice amount, in which case it could be a sizeable chunk. You will then need to find a Moneygram agent in your local area and the transfer will be paid out to you in the local currency (as far as I can remember, the exchange rates used are reasonable in cases where a transfer is sent in one currency but paid out in another). Before you go to the Moneygram agent, you will need to get the transfer reference number from the sender and also know exactly who sent the money. You'll need to provide all this information to the Moneygram agent together with your ID. It's possible that there may be a limit on how much money an agent can send or pay out, but I'm not 100% sure on this.

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:07
Italian to German
+ ...
Positive Feb 24, 2009

Hi! I have a customer from the UK and since I am reluctant in opening any account with Moneybooker and Paypal, he switched to Moneygram.
I did not encounter any problems in getting my money (cash).
Good luck!

Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 24, 2009

Thanks Luís and italia for the information.

Regards,
Marina

Maria Baquero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Europe and USA Feb 24, 2009

Does it work for payments between Europe and USA too? Moneybookers is not longer offering those services and payments from Europe to USA have become difficult

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:07
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes it works Europe USA Feb 24, 2009

It works, I used it for a payment from Italy to USA.

All the best

Maria Baquero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good! Feb 24, 2009

That's good news... thanks

Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Stephen! Feb 25, 2009

Very useful information, thank you.

I´ve already inquired about the procedure here in Tandil, and I was told about the amount limit to pick up and the fees.

As I´ve never used this service before, my main concern was whether it was reliable.

Thanks again for your post.

Marina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any experience with Moneygram?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums