https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/128758-travelling_expenses_kilometraje_in_spain.html

Travelling expenses / kilometraje in Spain
Thread poster: Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 09:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2009

Any ideas about what a reasonable amount to charge per kilometre in Spain would be for travelling expenses (private car). The last time I was paid this, it was at 24 PESETAS per km, and I rather hope it may be possible to ask for a little more!

I phoned my gestoría and they fished the same rate out of their memories, and said it would depend on convenios colectivos, but since I am autónoma, strictly speaking this wouldn't apply.

Hope I'm in the right category. Pleas
... See more
Any ideas about what a reasonable amount to charge per kilometre in Spain would be for travelling expenses (private car). The last time I was paid this, it was at 24 PESETAS per km, and I rather hope it may be possible to ask for a little more!

I phoned my gestoría and they fished the same rate out of their memories, and said it would depend on convenios colectivos, but since I am autónoma, strictly speaking this wouldn't apply.

Hope I'm in the right category. Please move me, dear moderators, if you see fit.

Thanks, Noni
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Additional information Feb 27, 2009

Sorry, I should perhaps have pointed out that while the kilometres are done in Spain, it is someone in the UK who will be billed for them.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are we that old? Feb 27, 2009

(Edited to use English; Sorry folks!)

I remember I was also paid 23 pesetas, but that was a short time before the Santa Gadea oath.

Here you have some reference in which 21 cents of euro per kilometer is mentioned. Something about press distribution drivers. Maybe an adequate figure could be 23-25 cents per km. The amounts in Spain are currently around th
... See more
(Edited to use English; Sorry folks!)

I remember I was also paid 23 pesetas, but that was a short time before the Santa Gadea oath.

Here you have some reference in which 21 cents of euro per kilometer is mentioned. Something about press distribution drivers. Maybe an adequate figure could be 23-25 cents per km. The amounts in Spain are currently around that range, it seems.

[Edited at 2009-02-27 20:39 GMT]
Collapse

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 08:48
EIZIE Feb 27, 2009

Hi Noni,

The EIZIE (Asociación de Traductores, Correctores e Intérpretes en Lengua Vasca) suggests 0,30 € per kilometer: http://www.eizie.org/Tresnak/Tarifak

Best regards,
Eva

Noël Purcell-O'Byrne
Noël Purcell-O'Byrne
Belgium
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
In Belgium Feb 27, 2009

If it is of interest here, if you subscribe to a car replacement system (as I do - I sold my car), then the following rates apply :

Prix/kilomètre
Jusque 100 km (carburant compris) 0,32
À partir du km 101 (carburant compris) 0,20

So that is what you have to pay the company (in addition to quite low user fees). So, 21 cents might be ok. Why not look up the rates for hiring cars in the UK (the usual well-known companies) and see what they charge?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did they mean.... Feb 27, 2009

Deschant wrote:
The EIZIE (Asociación de Traductores, Correctores e Intérpretes en Lengua Vasca)...

You surely meant "Asociación de Traductoras, Traductores, Correctoras, Correctores e Intérpretes en Lengua Vasca"?

They do say "traductoras y traductores" to mean "traductores" in several places...

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone Feb 28, 2009

...for very useful guidance. Relieved to hear that I can move into the 20s in cents!

One question for Noel: I'd be fascinated to hear more about "car replacement schemes" - what exactly are they?

Elin Davies
Elin Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
Rates in the UK when I last looked Feb 28, 2009

If your client is in the UK, when I was working in-house I think I was paid 40 pence per mile to travel - this was the maximum allowed before you'd have to pay tax on it as an employee. It's a fairly common figure I think - when I had to contact agencies looking for interpreters on behalf of my employer, they were likely to charge at least this.

This was two to three years ago, but I don't think a lot has changed since then (I think there was mention of a higher upper limit due to t
... See more
If your client is in the UK, when I was working in-house I think I was paid 40 pence per mile to travel - this was the maximum allowed before you'd have to pay tax on it as an employee. It's a fairly common figure I think - when I had to contact agencies looking for interpreters on behalf of my employer, they were likely to charge at least this.

This was two to three years ago, but I don't think a lot has changed since then (I think there was mention of a higher upper limit due to the rising price of fuel, but not sure if this ever came about).

Elin
Collapse

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
I get Nineteen... Mar 2, 2009

The main company I work for who pay travelling expenses accept claims at 19 cents per Km. Last year, it was 18 - then fuel prices shot up. I suspect they'll take it back down to 18, or below, now that fuel prices have plummeted.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Travelling expenses / kilometraje in Spain

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »