Mobile menu

Is it safe to link a credit card to Paypal?
Thread poster: Mónica Belén Colacilli

Mónica Belén Colacilli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:44
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 4, 2009

Hi everyone,

I've been using Paypal for a couple of years now, only for some clients who prefer this payment method, and I found it convenient. The thing is I'm about to reaching my total limit for withdrawals, and I'm being asked to link a credit card, which I'm a little reluctant to for safety reasons. What do you think about it? Have you had good or bad experiences?

Thanks for your contribution!
Belén

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Many years with a credit card linked... Mar 4, 2009

...and no problem or strange items in my account at all. So I presume it is pretty safe as long as you do keep a strong (long, complex) password for the access to your account. May I also suggest that you use a separate email account that is only used for PayPal and is completely unknown (and impossible to know) to anybody who is not a customer of yours?

Ivan Patti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
If not sure, try this. Mar 4, 2009

Hi Monica, I agree with Tomas. Shouldn't you feel really safe yet, you can try this: in Italy (and in most Europe I presume) the Post and many banks have been offering for some years "rechargeable" credit cards, which are not linked to any account and where the user can put as much money as he/she wants up to a set limit (€ 2000.00 in most cases). If these are available in Argentina as well, I think you can get one and link it to your PayPal account just like I did, so in the case - God forbid - that some hacker eventualy succeeds in getting your credit card details you'll get no major harm.
Hope this is a good piece of advice!
Ivan

Mónica Belén Colacilli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:44
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 4, 2009

Many thanks Tomás and Ivan! I really appreciate your suggestions!

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Same as Tomàs Mar 4, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
May I also suggest that you use a separate email account that is only used for PayPal and is completely unknown (and impossible to know) to anybody who is not a customer of yours?

This is exactly what I have done, although on other motives: I didn't want my 1st. rank account to be polluted by PP notifications... and BTW, it helps keeping an eye on phishing attempts.

Noteworthy: the pro account I use for PP never was spammed!

Laurent K.

Mark Benson  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
PayPal is good Mar 4, 2009

Note that you will also have to confirm your linked credit card in order to have the limits on your account lifted. To confirm the card, you need a statement from your credit giver or bank of all the charges made with it, where the amount that was charged when you linked it should appear together with the confirmation code. Therefore, Ivan's suggestion might not work.

Linking a credit card to your PayPal account is, like all other dealings with PayPal, entirely safe and convenient. If you are worried you can get an additional account at your bank and purchase a credit card with no credit (such as Maestro or whatever it's called) for it, and then link that credit card with PayPal. You can then make sure that you always transfer withdrawn funds to your other bank account asap after withdrawing from PayPal, so that no damage can be done even if your account at PayPal is hacked.

You can also set up an additional PayPal account. You then delete the bank account details from your first account (cannot appear on more than one account). Then send funds from the first PP account to the second and withdraw from the second, until you reach your withdrawal limit. You can then repeat the procedure. Note that you have to set up an email account for every new PP account.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it safe to link a credit card to Paypal?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs