Thread poster: Estelle Demontrond-Box
Estelle Demontrond-Box
Estelle Demontrond-Box  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:07
English to French
+ ...
Mar 10, 2009

It seems that some translators charge a certification fee when translating documents such as birth certificates which requires a translator's declaration (of accuracy). Is this common practise? And if it is, how much should be charged (in the uK)?
Also, I have just had two different short documents to translate for the one client and only charged her once the minimum charge (for less than 500 words in my case). Would you charge twice? I just think that since the second one was pretty short
... See more
It seems that some translators charge a certification fee when translating documents such as birth certificates which requires a translator's declaration (of accuracy). Is this common practise? And if it is, how much should be charged (in the uK)?
Also, I have just had two different short documents to translate for the one client and only charged her once the minimum charge (for less than 500 words in my case). Would you charge twice? I just think that since the second one was pretty short, it would be unfair to charge twice....
Collapse

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:07
Finnish to English
No charge Mar 11, 2009

I have never charged for such a declaration

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Notary? Mar 11, 2009

I certainly wouldn't charge for sending a certificate of accuracy produced by the client and signed by me, but if the client needs you to attend a notary's office and get the document certified there, the notary makes a charge which you have to pay - and you may have travel expenses to and from the notary's office as well. In that case, it is only fair for you to recharge those costs to the client, with the documentary evidence of your expenses.
Best wishes,
Jenny

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
In my case ... Mar 11, 2009

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I certainly wouldn't charge for sending a certificate of accuracy produced by the client and signed by me, but if the client needs you to attend a notary's office and get the document certified there, the notary makes a charge which you have to pay - and you may have travel expenses to and from the notary's office as well. In that case, it is only fair for you to recharge those costs to the client, with the documentary evidence of your expenses.
Best wishes,
Jenny

When a trip to the notary is required, I charge the notary's fee, travelling expenses (private transport, so at an agreed per km rate) and reimbursement for the time actually spent at the notary (i.e. including any wasted waiting time) at my standard hourly rate - after all, the time spent/wasted at the notary is time I could be spending in front of the computer translating for someone else.

I also wouldn't charge for signing a certificate of accuracy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification fee and minimum charge

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »