VAT on US invoices
Thread poster: Johan Venter

Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:19
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2009

I recently registered as a VAT payer (Czech Republic) and I am obviously still very inexperienced in this. I now have to issue an invoice to a client in the US and I am not sure if I should charge him VAT or not. I have purchased goods from the US in the past and I did not pay amy tax on these items, so I am not sure if this also applies to services provided from the EU.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Direct link Reply with quote
United States
Local time: 08:19
Italian to English
+ ...
No VAT in US Mar 13, 2009

There is no VAT in the US, so to whom would the recipient of the invoice pay the VAT? Even if there were, there would have to be a VAT agreement between the US and the EU.

Check with your accountant, but I think for the purposes of the Czech side, you can put on your invoice something like "No VAT, work executed outside Czech territory (or outside EU territory)".

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT on US invoices

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs