Mobile menu

Different rates for translation and localization?
Thread poster: Kyriaki.A

Kyriaki.A
Greece
Local time: 11:40
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
Feb 6, 2002

Hello dear fellows.

I am a freelance translator from Greece. Today, a new client asked me to give rates for the folllowing: (a) s/w localization, (b) Help/HTML localization and (c) technical documents.

The companies I have been working with pay me the same for these areas. Could you give an advice?

Regards

Kiki Ailamaki

Direct link Reply with quote

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:40
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes! Feb 12, 2002

Localization is usually paid on a daily basis, while translation is paid per word, as you know.

Bye

Antonella

Fabienne Garlatti  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:40
English to French
+ ...
RE: Different rates for translation and localization? Feb 14, 2002

hello Kyriaki, Antonella,

i just discovered your messages.

i\'m afraid this is too vague to be correct (localization **testing** is usually paid by the hour/day but not localization proper which, in practice, is translation too)

rates should definitely vary according to the material given for translation. given your client\'s request, they most probably have different rates themselves from their client.

(a) s/w localization

the client probably means the \"soft\" part of the software ie the interface proper. if your client works for major software companies (Oracle, MS...), they will require you to use proprietary software translation tools which are generally heavy to operate. if they don\'t they might give you lists of words with no or very little context. in both cases, your translation productivity will be very slow and you cannot afford to ask the same rate per word a you would for online help...

(b) Help/HTML localization

that is closer to your standard rate, probably a little more

(c) technical documents

your standard rate

the a) rate is difficult to figure out if you don\'t know what they are talking about. I would recommend that you ask for a trial before fixing your price. I have experience with MS\'s tool (LocStudio) and Oracle\'s (HH) and can tell you than I was sometimes happy when I could get 1200 words translated in my day!

Hope this helps

Fabienne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different rates for translation and localization?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs