ad hoc interpreting: fees
Thread poster: Rita Bilancio

Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 16, 2009

Dear colleagues,
I was contacted by a translation agency for a job and I was offered a really low late.
I haven't replied yet because I would like to know if you have been offered very very low rates
recently. It really sounds discouraging and I am wondering how I can reply. I cannot accept that rate as I find it disappointing for a professional and it is also offending for a student.
What is your experience?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:58
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No Mar 16, 2009

I don't see the problem - just say 'no' and tell them why.

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
Second and reinforce Tina Vonhof's good advice -- just say "No" Mar 17, 2009

Greetings.

I second and reinforce Tina Vonhof's good advice: just say "No," and provide an explanation only if that agency asks for it.

That firm's clearly-losing business practice is not worth any agonizing.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

[Edited at 2009-03-17 18:33 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Have a price tag Mar 17, 2009

Imagine a home appliance store with no price tags. You walk in, call a salesperson, and tell them I'll pay you $ 20 for this 40" flat screen TV with the big speakers." That's equivalent to what this prospect told you. Now react accordingly.

And don't forget to charge for your time/expenses to get there and safely return home.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ad hoc interpreting: fees

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs