Thread poster: Marta K.S.
Marta K.S.
Marta K.S.
Local time: 09:09
English to Greek
+ ...
Mar 24, 2009

Hello everyone.

I've been asked to translate a legal document from polish to greek. It's one page and it's about 150-170 words. How much should I charge per word or for the whole document?
Would really appreciate your advice, thank you.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
Charge your minimum fee (for one hour?) Mar 25, 2009

I would charge my minimum fee.

Marta K.S.
Marta K.S.
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How much should that be? Mar 25, 2009

Which should be about 15-20 euros? Or is that too little/much?

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Remember to factor in other expenses involved Mar 25, 2009

...such as the time spent preparing the invoice. This is a minimum consideration for a large project, but actually becomes a significant part of a very small job. If you have a minimum charge, this would be included there.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Rates Mar 25, 2009

I charge 35 euros per hour (if I have too much work I ask for 45) but I live in the UK. A teacher earns about 30 euros per hour in the UK (I think).

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
The subject of the minimum fee is a little bit difficult Mar 25, 2009

Many of the agencies themselves charge a minimum fee of EUR 25.00. They will pay you up to EUR 20.00 if they are desperate, if that is the case.

However, their minimum fee is obviously for a smaller text that your minimum fee is, since they are charging the end client a higher word rate than you are charging them. If the word rate that they charge brings them out of the minimum rate band - however the word rate that you charge puts you within it - then they lose some extra money if
... See more
Many of the agencies themselves charge a minimum fee of EUR 25.00. They will pay you up to EUR 20.00 if they are desperate, if that is the case.

However, their minimum fee is obviously for a smaller text that your minimum fee is, since they are charging the end client a higher word rate than you are charging them. If the word rate that they charge brings them out of the minimum rate band - however the word rate that you charge puts you within it - then they lose some extra money if you charge them your minimum fee.
Collapse

Marta K.S.
Marta K.S.
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx everyone Mar 26, 2009

Thanx for your advice everyone
I decided to ask for 20 euros since it's quite a difficult document. hope that works

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need advice on rates

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »