Royalties for translator
Thread poster: Marcelle Bethancourt

Marcelle Bethancourt  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 13:58
Spanish to French
+ ...
Mar 28, 2009

I have heard that when our translations are published or posted on the web (web page), we are entitled to royalties. Is it correct? What percentage can we ask for? I am intending to translate webpages.

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Work for hire - no royalties Mar 28, 2009

Most translation work is done as "work for hire", in which case the translator has no intellectual property rights to the product.

The only case I know where royalties are possible is book translations, based on specific agreements with the author and/or the publisher. But I have never heard of getting royalties for website translations.

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 21:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
Exactly Mar 29, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Most translation work is done as "work for hire", in which case the translator has no intellectual property rights to the product.

The only case I know where royalties are possible is book translations, based on specific agreements with the author and/or the publisher. But I have never heard of getting royalties for website translations.

PBUY,

Exactly, unless you are going to translate a book that is going to be published. If you do not set your terms before handling such cases then your work shall be deemed to "work for hire" rule.

Regards
Ahmed

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Varies by country Mar 29, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

The "work for hire" concept is enshrined in U.S. law but is not universal. It is my understanding that in Spain, for example, there are certain inherent intellectual property rights that a translator cannot sign away. This may be true in some other countries as well.

Where it gets sticky is if the translator is in one country and the client in another. And the international nature of the Internet complicates things further.

However, I'm not a lawyer or an expert on law. It's best to consult an intellectual property lawyer on topics like this.

[Edited at 2009-03-29 15:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Royalties for translator

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs