Mobile menu

Trados-based payment for non-Trados jobs?
Thread poster: Macià Falgàs i Planas
Macià Falgàs i Planas  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:06
English to Catalan
+ ...
Apr 2, 2009

Hi all,

One of my clients recently changed the wordcount method, and started applying reductions to my full rate based on %-match of Trados. This is normal, since other clients I have do it.

However, he also uses Trados wordcounts for jobs which does not allow Trados, such as PDF or JPG source files. In these cases, he analyzes the translated file and uses this Trados wordcount for payment.

I would like to know if this is normal (added to the fact that he did not even tell me about this change until I already sent my latest invoice).

I find this to be really unfair, as Trados-wordcount-based payment should apply only to jobs which can be done with Trados.

Thank you for your opinions.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:06
English to Dutch
+ ...
You said it all... Apr 2, 2009

I totally agree with what you say. You can't apply Trados rules for non-Trados jobs. And certainly not after the fact. Insist on full payment and make it very clear that you don't need unfair clients.

RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
They can not change YOUR rate Apr 2, 2009

Macià Falgàs i Planas wrote:

One of my clients recently changed the wordcount method, and started applying reductions to my full rate

¡That is not possible! They can not apply reductions to your rate because, as you said, it is YOUR rate. They can ASK for a reduction of your rate; they can try to RENEGOTIATE your rate, and they can be as firm as they want in that RENEGOTIATION. The money they pay you is YOUR rate, not theirs; they can not modify it; they can only NEGOTIATE it again.

Only you can decide if that discount is acceptable for you or not. Many people think that Trados discounts on Trados translations should not be accepted (myself for example). But you might think that in this case it is good for your business to accept a Trados discount for non Trados documents. For example, if this client pays a high rate and give you a lot of work. The point is not if it is fair or not; the point is if it is good or not for your business.

Ignacio Vicario Esteban

English to German
+ ...
try applying format conversion rates.. Apr 3, 2009

hi! this seems to be the new trick in the industry. Lately I also have recd. .bmp files from egypt with the argument repeats will either not be paid and or discounted as per trados matching machanism or many others are working for cheap. Converting that heavy duty .bmp file was a headache, I had to spend ours on that, but generally we quote also hourly rate, that does not agree with trados matching discount mechanism. BR Brandis

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Charge extra for PDF conversion, then use Trados wordcount Apr 3, 2009

One solution that is fair to both you and the customer is to charge extra for converting the PDF or JPG file, then do a conventional Trados word count analysis on the converted file.

I usually charge an hourly rate for the conversion, say 2 hours, perhaps less for a simple conversion more for a complex conversion (say a multi-column PDF file). As long as you still achieve your target income per day, jobs like this are still worthwhile. What really matters is your income per day, not your income per word.

Ann Krol  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
It's not fair Apr 3, 2009

I think the Trados-rate is applicable only for the Trados-jobs. There is no way to use it for non-Trados-jobs because working on PDF you don't have any possibility to use the %match function.

I think it's not fair, special after te job is done, so being in your position I will tell the client what I think about it, maybe he/she is not aware.

With best wishes!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados-based payment for non-Trados jobs?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs