Mobile menu

Outsourcers' contest: "Get the cheapest translation in a record time"
Thread poster: Christiane Lalonde

Christiane Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:28
English to French
Apr 3, 2009

I just saw a job posting from an American "agency" offering 0.06 per word for translating 15,000 in 3 hours.
This is part of the new outsourcers' contest "Get the most cheapest translation in a record time".
Anybody interested?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-06 05:45 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:28
Member (2006)
English to French
10 quotes so far... Apr 3, 2009

Christiane, don't you see that it's a great opportunity? 15,000 words X 0.06 USD = 900 USD in 3 hours!! You'll make your day!

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
If it's doable, it's not so bad... Apr 3, 2009

If the translation is so easy that it can be done in 3 hours, then it's actually not that bad... 300 USD per hour, I've had jobs that paid less.

But what kind of text could ever be translated in a 5,000 per hour rhythm?

Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Superfast job Apr 3, 2009

If you're superman or superwoman, then take it. Otherwise, you will stress yourself out. It would be risky. Also, it shows the agency is rather disorganised and you are doing the job of many people. Maybe the agency is going broke.

Sushan Harshe
India
Local time: 22:58
English to Hindi
+ ...
I love such a lucrative offer! Apr 3, 2009

Since I brought a CAT; I have been dreaming, that some day I will workout 10 k a day. Oh God! Should have gone for a Dog than?

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Are you serious? Apr 3, 2009

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

If the translation is so easy that it can be done in 3 hours, then it's actually not that bad... 300 USD per hour, I've had jobs that paid less.

But what kind of text could ever be translated in a 5,000 per hour rhythm?

I can hardly think it's possible proofread 15k wds in 3 hours, let alone translate them, regardless of their complexity.

[Edited at 2009-04-03 17:33 GMT]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
What's the intention? Apr 3, 2009

Considering the parameters of this job, I think it is safe to conclude that the outsourcer has no intention to pay. Even machine translation wouldn't be able to handle this. I suspect whoever posted the job knows that it is impossible. Whoever agrees to accept this job just will not be able to do it. And what happens when you don't deliver the goods?

Unless there is a typo somewhere (30 hours instead of 3?), I suggest that ProZ delete the job post. Otherwise, we are asking for it...

Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Shocking Apr 3, 2009

Obviously, who is posting such jobs does not care about quality at all, so I would suggest him/her to use machine translation. Both rate and the given time frame are shocking.
We all know what kind of "translators" would send quotes for such jobs.
I do think that rates are in direct proportion to level of expertise and quality.

Regards,
Katalin

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Crowdsourcing Apr 3, 2009

A hundred translators could comfortably deliver 150 polished words each in 3 hours. That's 15,000 words. If each piece of 50 words is unrelated to any other, translator styles might not show too much. But then, at $0.06...
How long does it take to write 100 cheques?
Have a good weekend,
Philippe

[Edited at 2009-04-03 18:44 GMT]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
Very interesting though.. Apr 3, 2009

Hi! may be the OS do the our testing and survive them. But marketing an argument is an issue by itselt, a translator, i doubt very much, cannot do it. Why? we do not know to differentiate an end- customer from an agency. BR Brandis

Kate Chaffer
Italy
Italian to English
READ the job offer before commenting Apr 3, 2009

This topic made me curious so I went to have a look at the job offer. It's quite clear that they're looking for several different translators to do the job. And it specifies that only a part is needed within 3 hours.

Christiane Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I READ it... Apr 3, 2009

Dear Kate,

The outsourcer changed the wording since the first posting. The part about end of business day wasn't there. This also explains why everybody commented about the three hours.

Kate C wrote:

This topic made me curious so I went to have a look at the job offer. It's quite clear that they're looking for several different translators to do the job. And it specifies that only a part is needed within 3 hours.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outsourcers' contest: "Get the cheapest translation in a record time"

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs