Mobile menu

Can I receive $ via Moneybookers in the US or not?
Thread poster: Miles Crew
Miles Crew  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:13
Chinese to English
Apr 15, 2009

I have a payment owed to me in a territory not covered by Paypal, but I'm not clear on whether I can receive money and deposit it in my US bank by Moneybookers or not. I seem to remember trying to register and failing some time ago- or maybe it being explicitly stated that I wouldn't be able to withdraw funds as a US resident- but now I've been able to make a Moneybookers account and link it to my bank information. Wikipedia seems to indicate that US residents can't receive funds, but it also looks like the service may have undergone some changes recently. I would really appreciate a straight, final answer on this so I know whether or not I need to just ask for a check instead. Thanks in advance for any help.

[Edited at 2009-04-15 21:43 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lise Leavitt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:13
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
Same problem here Apr 15, 2009

Hi Miles,

I have the same question and doubts. I used to have an account with the European MB and used it to receive money from France once, then as you said the US blocked transactions with non-US customers. So I deleted it.
Lately I went there and saw that now the Money Booker has a specific USA department and I created a new account from that page. However, I have tried to get money from Egypt, and they were informed in writing, that transactions are still not allowed between US- and non-US accounts. I am confused like you!
I would appreciate if anyone know the actual situation with USA and moneybooker!

TIA!

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Haven't had a problem Apr 15, 2009

I believe that PayPal and Moneybookers both restrict transfers from some countries, but not all.

I have had a Moneybookers account for about a year and a half, and I have only used it for transfers into my US account from other countries. I last received a payment from outside the US via Moneybookers in Dec 2008, and I expect to receive one this week.

[Edited at 2009-04-15 23:03 GMT]

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
French to English
I've used MB in the US Apr 15, 2009

The only problem I had with them is that the customer service reps are only available on the phone from 8-4 UK time, and they are not so prompt (by a couple months) at answering email. So if you have any problem with your account it will take a little doing to straighten out. But they do work in the US, or at least they did as of a few months ago when I used them last, and they are certainly cheaper than Paypal.

Editing myself to add that the clients who paid me through MB have all been non-US. I think they have all been in France, maybe the specific non-US country makes a difference? It would explain the different stories.

[Edited at 2009-04-15 23:52 GMT]

Kelly O'Connor  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
I believe so Apr 17, 2009

I received a couple of MB payments in February and March of 2009, even after MB had stopped servicing US customers.

I originally signed up for an MB account when I was resident in Europe, but changed my address about two years to my present US address. The only thing is, when I log in, it asks me whether I am a US resident and I always answer no. Which is probably why I can still use it.

Expecting a payment any day now - will let you know.

K

Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
No, but there is a way. Apr 19, 2009

No you can't...no officially.

Essentially Moneybookers no longer services the United States. You would need to have a mailing address in another country that MB services, set up an account and then ask them to transfer the account to a US address later.

Cal their UK customer service line and ask them if they will do this for you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I receive $ via Moneybookers in the US or not?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs