Thread poster: Dietrich Herrmann, MD, PhD, MBA
Dietrich Herrmann, MD, PhD, MBA  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:56
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2002

Another ripoff has been posted on the jobboard (E/G/E) offering a paltry US $ 0.02 per word. I wish people would swamp the guy with appropriate comments - I just did.

Dieter
[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:56
Member (2004)
German to English
I saw that too! Feb 11, 2002

Hello, I saw the last job as well, but I didn\'t reply just because I don\'t know quite how to respond. The post came from a company in eastern Europe. They are apparently operating in a completely different market. It is the same old dilemma. My rates are in line here in the US, but I am too expensive for Europe and most other countries and this has kept me from getting work in those countries recently. I don\'t know what the answer is, but I can sure appreciate your feelings.

[addsig]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
German to English
+ ...
How to respond Feb 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-11 21:28, Sonya wrote:

Hello, I saw the last job as well, but I didn\'t reply just because I don\'t know quite how to respond. The post came from a company in eastern Europe. They are apparently operating in a completely different market. It is the same old dilemma. My rates are in line here in the US, but I am too expensive for Europe and most other countries and this has kept me from getting work in those countries recently. I don\'t know what the answer is, but I can sure appreciate your feelings.

I understand. But this outsourcer should understand that our rates are different from theirs. Since they are primarily looking for native speakers of Western languages, they should not insult us with such rates. Let them specialize in their own language pairs. Where do they get off interfering in exclusively Western language pairs such as French to English??? They should stick to their own knitting (i.e., English to Russian, for example).

AndrewBM
Ireland
Local time: 21:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Anyone willing to pay USD 0.03-0.02 pw or less Feb 12, 2002

...should try this site. There is a number of cheap profiles from the poorest parts of the world matching the above criterion.

Happy hunting!
[addsig]

Dietrich Herrmann, MD, PhD, MBA  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:56
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But 2 cents is just too ridiculous Feb 12, 2002

I do understand that I am in a privileged position since the economic situation in Eastern Europe is quite different from that of the EC, and I did state just that in my comment. But even so, 2 cents is just too ridiculous. If we do not try and stop this kind of cutthroat pricing there is no way under the sun that translators in those parts of the world will be able to earn a decent living. And Werner is quite right, they are looking for people with Western European language pairs and thus should offer the going rates. Nobody can convince me that you get professional quality copy for 2 cents anywhere in this world. This is as nasty an exploitation as I have seen for quite some time and harks back to the times when trade unions sprang into existence for precisely that reason!

I do believe that \"job offers\" like these should be squashed: ProZ.com prides itself on their professionalism; what I have experienced recently in this and different matters has convinced me otherwise. It is time to put the bite into their code of ethics and clean up the various abuses, otherwise it will degenerate into just another run-of-the-mill site with no real substance. And that would be a real shame since I would have to go back to solving crossword puzzles in the paper rather than KudoZ .

Dieter
[addsig]

AndrewBM
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
Waking to a crude reality Feb 13, 2002

Sonya wrote:

The post came from a company in eastern Europe. They are apparently operating in a completely different market. It is the same old dilemma.

Just to see how different it is, have a look at the latest data available from the ILO\'s LABORSTA database.

It is a proven fact that the wage differential between skilled and un-skilled workers traditionally is not high in Russia.

Russian Federation, Year 1998

Earnings per month / Roubles

Tabulation category H: Hotels and Restaurants

=Rs ,792

Tabulation category D: Manufacturing

=Rs 1,026

Tabulation category K(*): Real Estate, Renting and Business Activities

=Rs 1,067

Tabulation category L: Public Administration and Defence; Compulsory Social Security

=Rs 1,343

http://laborsta.ilo.org/

(*)Category Kincludes among others:

- Computer and related activities

- Research and Development

To calculate the exchange rates I used the following page:

http://www.micex.com/profile/activity_dynamics.html

my humble arithmetics:

USD1=10 Roubles (199
[addsig]

Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
German to English
Appreciate the comments Feb 13, 2002

I appreciate what everyone has said here. I agree that something needs to be done; that could possibly be either a minimum on the bids, or restricting the countries operating under vastly different economic circumstances to their own languages pairs. Of course then we are talking about interfering with a free market.

German to English
+ ...
Free market Feb 13, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-13 16:34, Sonya wrote:

I appreciate what everyone has said here. I agree that something needs to be done; that could possibly be either a minimum on the bids, or restricting the countries operating under vastly different economic circumstances to their own languages pairs. Of course then we are talking about interfering with a free market.

But the free market does not give you the right to offer services that you are not qualified for or that you don\'t have qualified translators for. And if that Russian agency offers, say, translations from French to English, they will need qualified translators who are English native speakers, and they will demand Western rates. So, in all likelihood, that agency will assign these jobs to Russian native speakers who will then translate from French to English (\"foreign-to-foreign\"), and I don\'t have to tell you about the quality of such translations, do I?

The free market is OK, but even the free market has rules.

AndrewBM
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
So, who is going to police them? Feb 14, 2002

Yes, who?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-15 00:32 ]

isthmian
Local time: 15:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Price-fixing as a solution? Feb 18, 2002

Proz.com and others are great for getting work but due to their global reach also become a global marketplace that broom-makers in Indiana and rice growers in Louisiana faced after NAFTA. But trying to coerce users in the Third World into keeping their prices as high as those in Europe may amount to price fixing and even get the eye of the Anti-Trust Division of the DOJ (just kidding...)

AndrewBM
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
Were I able to fix THEM right now, I would do just that Feb 22, 2002

Let the DJ interrogate me tout de suite , if they want to.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-23 02:27 ]

Dora O'Malley  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trying to find a solution? It all depends on us. Feb 25, 2002

I think that the only way we can fight this unfair situation is:

1- Label all \"Sweat Shops\".

There are very good translation companies that pay fair prices and understand and respect translators. Work only with good companies.

2- Send them your price.

3- Continue to educate customers and agencies so they undersand that translation is a real profession that requires expertise.

4- I do not see any problem with setting up minimum fees for posting jobs. There is a minimum wage for workers, so setting up a minimum fee would be within the same criteria.

5- Ask for the price you think is right for the type of work you do, the know-how, and equipment required.

6- Set your own prices and conditions.

7- Start treating translation as a real profession and soon you will be recongnised as a professional. Nobody else but us can fix these problems.

German to English
+ ...
Kudos, Dora Feb 25, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-25 18:37, EurUS wrote:

I think that the only way we can fight this unfair situation is:

1- Label all \"Sweat Shops\".

There are very good translation companies that pay fair prices and understand and respect translators. Work only with good companies.

2- Send them your price.

3- Continue to educate customers and agencies so they undersand that translation is a real profession that requires expertise.

4- I do not see any problem with setting up minimum fees for posting jobs. There is a minimum wage for workers, so setting up a minimum fee would be within the same criteria.

5- Ask for the price you think is right for the type of work you do, the know-how, and equipment required.

6- Set your own prices and conditions.

7- Start treating translation as a real profession and soon you will be recongnised as a professional. Nobody else but us can fix these problems.

You are sooooooooo right. It is up to US to bring about change. But in order to do so, we all need to work together (just the other day I found the profile of a ProZ member who offers her services for $1.50 per page (!!), and she lives and works in the US (!!)).

With such ridiculous member profiles it is no big surprise that certain clients and agencies out there think that they can get away with their \"insults\"

Dora O'Malley  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is only common sense Feb 27, 2002

I think that we have to wake up and people who buy translations need to wake up too. A good translation requires skill and expertise. A rush job usually requires a % up since you have to leave other jobs aside. (Translation companies charge more for rush jobs.)

Besides, you can make $5 or $3 as a tip in an innexpensive restaurant and it is much easier, I suppose!

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:56
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Slogans Feb 27, 2002

Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

Work union, live better.

There must be others .....

Feel free to add.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No end to cheap bastards

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs