Mobile menu

paypal and residency
Thread poster: Katherine Cosentino

Katherine Cosentino  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:45
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2003

I've been reading the posts about paypal, moneybookers and other ways of getting paid for out-of-country jobs. Although I am an American citizen, I am a resident in Italy. I read that residents in Italy can't withdraw from Paypal but can only use the money for online purchases. I have a bank account in the States, and, although I need to invoice using my tax-id number in Italy in order to keep my work permit, couldn't I just sign up for paypal using my US bank account? Anyone else done this? Pros? Cons?
Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:45
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
They say it's possible... Sep 2, 2003

Hello Katherine,
I sent them an e-mail enquiry, and they replied:
"Currently, withdrawals to bank accounts are available in the following countries:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany,
Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore,
Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. If you live outside
of these countries, you can add a U.S. bank account to your PayPal
Account and begin accepting payments."
So, from what they say (I've no personal experience of this to offer), it can be done. (As I'm not US based, I don't know whether or not there are US tax implications.) I don't know what the situation is over Moneybooker & Italy, but it's probably worth looking into that as well.

[Edited at 2003-09-02 06:23]

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Sep 2, 2003

Thank you so much for your help. I'll look into Moneybookers as well.
Katherine

murat karahan  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 03:45
English to Turkish
+ ...
Lucky you.... Sep 2, 2003

I was frequently using BidPay before PayPal was taken over by ebay. Now I can't pay or receive anything through PayPal. I wrote to them a year ago but nothing has changed so far.

Katherine Cosentino wrote:

I've been reading the posts about paypal, moneybookers and other ways of getting paid for out-of-country jobs. Although I am an American citizen, I am a resident in Italy. I read that residents in Italy can't withdraw from Paypal but can only use the money for online purchases. I have a bank account in the States, and, although I need to invoice using my tax-id number in Italy in order to keep my work permit, couldn't I just sign up for paypal using my US bank account? Anyone else done this? Pros? Cons?
Thanks!

PB Trans

French to English
+ ...
A word of advice Nov 4, 2003

The name on your US bank account must match exactly the name of your PayPal account. If it doesn't, you will have to fax them documents to prove your identity. This happened to me last year. I registered with PayPal using my shortened first name and only one last name. When I went to add my bank account information, they rejected it because the bank account was under my legal name (first name and two last names). I was able to straighten everything out but it did delay the transfer of my PayPal balance to my bank account. Apart from that, I have had no problems making and receiving PayPal payments. In fact, I think it is very practical.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:45
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
You can't Nov 4, 2003

Sorry, I didn't read this before.

I'm sure you can't. You must be resident in the country where your account (the one you use with PayPal) is.
I'm in Chile and I wanted to open it with my credit card from a French account.

It was very difficult to receive an answer from them (I always had automatic responses, until I "shouted" PLEASE READ THIS MESSAGE, IT'S AN IMPORTANT QUESTION THAT IS NOT IN YOUR FAQ

And then they told me loud and clear that it was not possible.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:15
English to Tamil
+ ...
I gather that Paypal is full of indifferent people Nov 4, 2003

Not answering email queries is the height of arrogance. Getting only moronic robot emails is adding insult to injury. From the various postings I gather that your Paypal account is set for once and you are left to your own devices. As long things go smooth everything is ok. Once some problems crop up, God help you and I think even He will be frustrated by these cute guys of Paypal. If for a certain country, say India, there is no way of free transfers, they have no business coming here and offering their services. No doubt all these information will be somewhere available, but in an extremely small print. In our place we call this misleading a potential account holder.
Having vented steam, let us examine the question of money transfers. In India there is a thing called demand draft. The payer gets a demand draft issued in favour of the payee and makes it payable in the city of payee's choice. For this he is debited by the bank issuing DD. The DD is usually crossed account payee and sent to him by courier. The payee gives this DD to his bank, not necessarily the branch of the DD issuing bank. His bank collects the payment by local clearance and pays into the payee's account at no charge. Now, can't this be extended to international operations too? For example my city has branches of many foreign banks such as Grindlay's bank, Citibank, Bank of America and so on. And these branches participate in our local clearance operations. An American client has just to take a banker's certified cheque for the amount of my bill from any bank, having a branch in my city. What can be simpler? And send the certified cheque by courier.
I request input on this point.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
residency Nov 5, 2003

How does paypal know where I'm a resident?

Thanks to everyone for the input!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Various points to check Nov 5, 2003

Hi Katherine,
How does paypal know where I'm a resident?

They cannot check it directly, of course, but there are a number of indications, in addition to the specification you make yourself when signing up:

- the country where your credit card account is maintained;
- the country where your bank account is maintained.

I'm not sure if they track your IP when setting up the account, but that's also a (legitimate) possibility.

Best regards, Ralf

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
It also said in the e-mail they sent me at the start of Sept (see above) Nov 6, 2003

"Residents in the following countries are eligible for PayPal Accounts:

*Anguilla *Argentina *Australia *Austria *Belgium *Brazil
*Canada *Chile *China *Costa Rica *Denmark *Dominican Republic
*Finland *France *Germany *Greece *Hong Kong *Iceland *India
*Ireland *Israel *Italy *Jamaica *Japan *Luxembourg *Mexico
*Netherlands *New Zealand *Norway *Portugal *Singapore *South
Korea *Spain *Sweden *Switzerland * Taiwan *United Kingdom"

So they said you can have a paypal ac.if you live in Italy, but you can't withdraw from it to an Italian bank ac.

In the part of the e-mail in the earlier message (see 2 Sept), it says that if you don't live in one of the countries where they let you withdraw money to a bank account (ie: if you live in Italy for instance) you can add a US bank account to withdraw to (if one happens to have one).

It appears to be intended in their rules.
I don't have personal experience of doing the above, so can't comment from that standpoint.

Did you investigate Moneybookers for Italy, and what was you conclusion about that, if any?

Giuli Kvrivishvili

~Eng Russ Geo~

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

paypal and residency

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs