Honorar \'zwar niedrig aber garantiert\' - 0.025 euro/source - what\'s next? Nothing?
Thread poster: Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 20:48
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 14, 2002

An \'offer\' by JETSET Int. Sl. - I wonder how much they catch for this assignment.

TOURISMUS TEXT SPANISCH>DEUTSCH

Details

Einfacher Text zum Thema Tourismus; viele Wordwiederholungen; Word files; Gesamtvolumen knapp 50.000 Worte aufgeteilt in 8 files zwischen 5.500 und 7.000 Worten. Keine Übersetzungs-Software nötig. Honorar max. Euro 0.025/source text oder Angebot

Deadline 20. Februar 2
... See more
An \'offer\' by JETSET Int. Sl. - I wonder how much they catch for this assignment.

TOURISMUS TEXT SPANISCH>DEUTSCH

Details

Einfacher Text zum Thema Tourismus; viele Wordwiederholungen; Word files; Gesamtvolumen knapp 50.000 Worte aufgeteilt in 8 files zwischen 5.500 und 7.000 Worten. Keine Übersetzungs-Software nötig. Honorar max. Euro 0.025/source text oder Angebot

Deadline 20. Februar 2002, 18.00 Uhr MEZ

Liebe Übersetzer,

da die Broschüre wunderschöne Gegenden und farbenfrohe Fiestas in Spanien beschreibt, sollten Sie über Erfahrung in Tourismus-Texten verfügen und mit den typisch spanischen Gebräuchen und Festivitäten vertraut sein. Daher sollten Sie idealerweise in Spanien leben oder gelebt haben. Der Auftrag kommt von einem neuen Kunden unserer Agentur und wenn alles gut läuft, erhalten wir weitere Aufträge.

Wichtig: Da es sich bei dem Kunden um eine staatliche Agentur handelt, ist die Bezahlung zwar niedrig, dafür aber garantiert!!

Wir akzeptieren Angebote für einzelne Files, wie oben beschrieben, aber auch auch für das Gesamtpaket von knapp 50.000 Wörtern.

Love & Peace

George

Probetext, bitte übersetzen:

En Málaga hay dos fiestas que se viven a pie de asfalto: la Semana Santa y la Feria de Agosto. El que no conozca la Semana Santa malagueña no debe perderse el Lunes Santo a El Cautivo, al que le siguen miles y miles de penitentes, o el encierro de \'El Moreno\', el Cristo de los Gitanos. Tampoco debe perderse el perdón del Miércoles Santo de Ntro. Padre Jesús el Rico, que año tras año libera a un preso, y el vuelo de cientos de palomas en torno al impresionante trono de la Virgen de la Paloma. Si acude el Jueves Santo quedará impresionado con los cánticos de los legionarios al Cristo de la Buena Muerte en la llamada \'tribuna de los pobres\'. La otra cita en la que la ciudad se vuelca es en su Feria de Agosto. Durante las 24 horas del día todo aquel que se acerque a Málaga encontrará una excusa para divertirse.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-14 17:53 ]
Collapse

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
And what is the name of the bloodsucker? Feb 14, 2002

No further comment

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 14:48
German to English
+ ...
Leider hast Du recht, Evert ... Feb 14, 2002

..., denn schon sehr bald werden wir \"Null-Angebote\" zu lesen bekommen (Jahrmarkt der Übersetzer - more like a freak show, if you ask me).

Ja, der Weg zu 0 cent pro Wort ist nicht mehr weit.

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
GLOBALIZATION! Feb 14, 2002

GLOBALIZATION!

German to English
+ ...
Here you go, Jacek Feb 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-14 16:50, jacek wrote:

No further comment

Name: Traducciones Jet

Email: [email protected]

Beth Kantus
Beth Kantus  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Null-Angebote Feb 14, 2002

You are absolutely right, Werner. Perhaps we could just leave the Null-Angebote to all those translators who claim to have to work cheap in order to gain entry into the profession. D\'you think they\'d be willing to work for free just for the experience ?! Meanwhile, the rest of us can start up a fish farm or something!

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 19:48
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You are labouring under a misapprehension Feb 14, 2002

The next step is that we\'ll have to pay THEM for the privilege.

There was another of those \'job postings\' today: English into several East European languages + Hebrew. No name, no pack drill, just a Hotmail addy. And they wanted applicants to send them a sample translation. Sample, my eye: they wanted this text translated for free.

I wonder how many poor suckers fell for it.
[addsig]

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Government Agencies Don't Pay Well???? Feb 14, 2002

Quote from the \"job offer\":

\"Wichtig: Da es sich bei dem Kunden um eine staatliche Agentur handelt, ist die Bezahlung zwar niedrig, dafür aber garantiert!!\"

Some translation agency managers(?) seem to think that translators have no knowledge of reality or no sense at all. Why on earth would people outdo themselves to get government contracts? Because they pay so little?!?!

We should all get together, fully investigate a case like this and publish ALL
... See more
Quote from the \"job offer\":

\"Wichtig: Da es sich bei dem Kunden um eine staatliche Agentur handelt, ist die Bezahlung zwar niedrig, dafür aber garantiert!!\"

Some translation agency managers(?) seem to think that translators have no knowledge of reality or no sense at all. Why on earth would people outdo themselves to get government contracts? Because they pay so little?!?!

We should all get together, fully investigate a case like this and publish ALL facts, including the name of the agency AND the real names of the people involved.

Thank you for having the guts to at least name the agency! Unfortunately, that name will likely change every few weeks.

(Translators of Eastern European Languages and Russian, check out BidRadar for very lucrative government contracts.)

http://www.bidradar.com/

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-14 18:36 ]
Collapse

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:48
English to Spanish
This one is a real darling... Feb 14, 2002

I can read German but I cannot write in German, so I have to do it in English, sorry.

I have been noticing this kind of postings, that offer virtually nothing money-wise but pose lots of demands in terms of experience, word count and tight deadlines. I have to say this is such a beaut, it could be used as template for this kind of er... proposal. Virtually nothing is missing, including the \"lots of repetitions\" thing, and the promise of more work coming (for equally high r
... See more
I can read German but I cannot write in German, so I have to do it in English, sorry.

I have been noticing this kind of postings, that offer virtually nothing money-wise but pose lots of demands in terms of experience, word count and tight deadlines. I have to say this is such a beaut, it could be used as template for this kind of er... proposal. Virtually nothing is missing, including the \"lots of repetitions\" thing, and the promise of more work coming (for equally high rates, I should guess). And some juicy additions, like the one about working for the State. I have worked for State clients, including for the famously miserly Argentinian state (miserly for useful things, that is), and this is the very first time I\'ve heard that one!

Also, he says \"max Euro 0.025... oder Angebot,\" does that mean you can offer to work for less? Have I got that right?

And he adds insult to injury by closing it with \"Peace and Love\"!

However, I have to add that it would be interesting to know if there were any takers. Because as long as people accept these proposals... you know.

Collapse

Eva G. Breust
Eva G. Breust
Germany
English to German
+ ...
'state' is no guarantee Feb 14, 2002

I have lived in Spain and I know from experience that official bodies do not care much about paying on time: among freelance professionals who work for government offices it is common to joke about the \'terms of late-payment\' of the state: 6 months is nothing! In the end, they pay, sure...

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
What's next: Feb 14, 2002

What comes next is that translators will have to pay agencies for the privilege of accepting jobs for government offices, but they can set off the charges in your next tax return!

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Then You Wait Some More..... Feb 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-14 18:19, eva breust wrote:

I have lived in Spain and I know from experience that official bodies do not care much about paying on time: among freelance professionals who work for government offices it is common to joke about the \'terms of late-payment\' of the state: 6 months is nothing! In the end, they pay, sure...

After that, the translator will wait for the agency to p... See more
Quote:

On 2002-02-14 18:19, eva breust wrote:

After that, the translator will wait for the agency to pay him, MAYBE! Who would trust a deal like this. ▲ Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
Not only in translation Feb 14, 2002

Having friends who work in multimedia and trucking, just to name other fields, I know this situation is not exclusive to translation.

I guess that as long there are translators willing to accept such a rate, this practise will continue. I\'m really curious to know if anyone applied for the job.

Nina Khmielnitzky

kbamert
kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
5 bidders Feb 27, 2002

\"Also, he says \"max Euro 0.025... oder Angebot,\" does that mean you can offer to work for less? Have I got that right?\"

Yes, you got it right.

However, I have to add that it would be interesting to know if there were any takers.

5 bidders...

[/quote]

Josephina Kooijman
Josephina Kooijman  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:48
English to Dutch
Not a Pro (yet?) Mar 8, 2002

I am a bit hesitant to reply, but anyway. I am a starting freelance translator English - Dutch and struggling. I refuse to bid on projects for a low rate both because I feel its a stab in the back for the profession and because I realise it\'s going to backfire at myself. The end result until now is: no jobs but determined to get there.

I just want the community to know that not all starters are responding to \"agencies\" offering so little next to nothing. And yesterday I did see a p
... See more
I am a bit hesitant to reply, but anyway. I am a starting freelance translator English - Dutch and struggling. I refuse to bid on projects for a low rate both because I feel its a stab in the back for the profession and because I realise it\'s going to backfire at myself. The end result until now is: no jobs but determined to get there.

I just want the community to know that not all starters are responding to \"agencies\" offering so little next to nothing. And yesterday I did see a posting \"I translate for free\" in forum.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Honorar \'zwar niedrig aber garantiert\' - 0.025 euro/source - what\'s next? Nothing?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »