Mobile menu

How much to charge for 100% and fuzzy matches?
Thread poster: Dipl.-Kfm. Bernhard Aicher MBA

Dipl.-Kfm. Bernhard Aicher MBA  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:19
English to German
+ ...
Sep 11, 2003

A client wants an offer for 100% and fuzzy matches.

I have recently bought a CAT tool but I don't know what to tell him.

Your experience with market rates would be very appreciated.

Prices for normal translations, i.e. without 100% and fuzzy matches, vary between different translators. So I thought it might be helpful if you could indicate your prices for 100% and fuzzy matches as a percentage of the normal rate.

Thanx
Bernhard

[Edited at 2003-09-11 09:11]

[Edited at 2003-09-11 12:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No firm percentage Sep 11, 2003

Hi Bernhard,
Leaving aside the much-discussed issue as to whether such discounts are justified: the crucial question to ask is what quality the supplied TM has. I would never quote any discount unless this is based on something that we did earlier (in which case I can analyse it against my own TM), or if I'm convinced that the translation units delivered by the customer are ok. Don't take their word for it...

As far as percentages go, I doubt whether you'll get a lot of feedback in a public forum.

Best regards, Ralf

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Percentages are private Sep 11, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

As far as percentages go, I doubt whether you'll get a lot of feedback in a public forum.

Best regards, Ralf

Thank you Ralf that's very kind!! You are right, I won't probably get the needed feedback in the public forum.

So I invite everybody to send me a private e-mail fintrans@eunet.at

Bernhard (the guileless guy)

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM is an intellectual property Sep 12, 2003

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

I advice you also never deliver either final or unclean TMs. Any TMs delivered mean they will not come next time for similar jobs or get it done for cheap finding another translator. TMs belongs to translators and they are their Know-hows and should be kept safe from anyone.
I recently adopted a policy not to deliver TMs.

This is really a very good point. In the meantime I have negotiated the price for the matches and fuzzies and have agreed to deliver the TM as well (for free)

I am really very grateful for your hint! I did not take that into account. After the current project they won't get my TM anymore - even at the risk of losing a client. By the way the TM they had delivered as a basis has a poor quality.

[Edited at 2003-09-12 22:56]

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:19
Flemish to English
+ ...
None Sep 13, 2003

Does the customer pays you the license? CAT tools are tools to enhance consistency, not to earn less. You could tell him that unless he pays you the license, you do not give discounts. Who invests in such tools to earn less?

Jan Duinstra  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Your rates muste be fixed case by case... Sep 16, 2003

I totally agree with Ralf Lemster. If you are 100% sure of the quality of the matches, you could apply following rates.
I am practising them since a few month and these rates have been generally accepted by my customers.

Good luck. Jan.

100% match = 12,5%
95-99% match= 31%
85-94% match= 50% of usual rate
75-84% match= 75 %
50-74% match= 87.5%
No Match = 100%

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:49
English to Tamil
+ ...
I solved the matches in a different manner Sep 16, 2003

But this presupposes one thing. The client should live in the same city. This client phones me and asks me for my rates. After I give him that information, he suggests that there are repetitions and I should reduce the rate as the work is made that much easier. I politely asked him to do the work himself, if he finds the work easy. The client had to agree that he could not. I told him that I rest my case. Then I gave him the coup de grace. I offered to go to his place and do the work. All he had to do was to make an operating system available to me. He jumped at the offer and promptly sent me his car for picking me up. I went to his place, finished his job in 4 hours, charged him by the hour. Without the repetition the work have taken a longer time. In that way he automatically benefited and I did not grudge him that. This is a win-win situation.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:19
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Deliver or not TMs Nov 17, 2003

Well, I don't see the point in deciding not to deliver the TM. The client has the source text, and you deliver the translation, right?
So, he can run WinAlign, and voila, he has the TM...
I don't think it worth starting an argument with the client over the TM, because it is very easy for anyone to re-create it from the source and the target text.

In fact, that is the best way for your client to ensure he has absolutely the latest information in the TM.
If you cleaned up your file, and after that made a few additional edits in the translation, your TM will not reflect those final-final changes.

I want to have a good working relationship with my clients, so if I get TRADOS work from them, I deliver the TM as well. (All of my clients returned, so far.)

Just my 2 cents.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge for 100% and fuzzy matches?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs