Mobile menu

How should you invoice if parts of the text are exactly the same?
Thread poster: Evi Zierlein

Evi Zierlein
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:08
English to German
+ ...
Feb 19, 2002

What should you do when you realise that parts of a text are exactly the same with the exception of a few words?

Do you invoice all the words despite the fact that you were able to copy and paste bits?

Or do you just ignore the fact, as you still had to check the original text for possible differences etc. and think if the client/agency couldn’t be bothered to check the text (and the exact amount of words) why should the translator be?

Direct link Reply with quote

RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 03:08
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TM system Feb 19, 2002

Hello,

One possibility is the use of a translation memory system and a discount on repetitions.

With kind regards

Hans Pich

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:08
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 19, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-19 12:38, eviz wrote:

What should you do when you realise that parts of a text are exactly the same with the exception of a few words?

Do you invoice all the words despite the fact that you were able to copy and paste bits?

Or do you just ignore the fact, as you still had to check the original text for possible differences etc.

I handle this differently for different clients. If it is a long-term client, I will call and ask what is to be done. In most of my cases, the client will say that I should check for differences and bill for the entire text. It usually requires MORE time to ensure that the text is EXACTLY the same.

If it is a new agency, I will again call. If there is any doubt about translating it, I will charge by the hour for proofing the original and ensuring that the passages ARE indeed identical. If not, the hourly rate will catch the differences, and I do not lose any money in the process. Also, the client is usually impressed that you called BEFORE you made a decision.

I rarely assume that the client (agency or direct) knows enough about the source language to determine that there are passages that are identical. If they do know enough, why have it translated?

I find that contacting the client for any sort of aberration, be it missing text, duplicated text, whatever, usually pays dividends FAR higher than what you earn on that one text.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:08
English to German
+ ...
Weighted line count Feb 21, 2002

First of all, I\'d like to fully agree with \'jccantrell\'s\' last point - highlighting such an issue will certainly boost the professional impression you leave with your client.

Most translation memory systems (I use Trados 5 Team Edition) allow you to analyse a text before translating.

What I do for repetitive text is to analyse it before the translation, and then apply a weighting, according to the degree of overlap. Having said that...

- You shouldn\'t allow a client/agency to get sentences that fully match previous translations for free - unless the client expressly excludes certain passages, the risk of missing tiny changes is yours; also, you will need to check whether the translation in the database fits the context of the job you\'re working on.

- IMHO this kind of deduction should only apply if the job overlaps with previous jobs of the same client. (IOW don\'t give up the efficiency gains of your database...)

HTH - Ralf

Dora O'Malley  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:08
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If you have to read it, you have to charge for it Feb 25, 2002

Usually, I give a bulk discount if there are repetions. It all depends on the job. Using a translation memory helps, but does not reduce your work in the sense that you still have to proof it, edit, make sure it is consistent, etc.

My rule is \"If you have to type it or read it, you have to charge for it\".

Nobody works for free, so I give a bulk discount, which is fair, and my customers are happy.

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Totally agree with Dora ! Mar 2, 2002

Dora says:

QUOTE:

\"If you have to type it or read it, you have to charge for it\".

END OF QUOTE

You said it, Dora.

John Kinory
Local time: 02:08
English to Hebrew
+ ...
If you have to read it... Mar 3, 2002

Exactly! The commodity we sell (apart from our brains and knowledge - but few clients are interested in paying for that, nowadays! ) is our time. If we need to ensure that the 2 texts are the same, we spend time (actually, we even use our knowledge...) doing that. So of course we need to charge.

Having said that, I agree that this should first be pointed out to the client just in case it\'s an oversight (and if there is time). Often, there are minor differences, but it\'s our neck on the block if we don\'t proof the 2 passages carefully. Often, we agree to base this on time rather than word-count.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should you invoice if parts of the text are exactly the same?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search