Vladimir Shapovalov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:33
Member (2003)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Sep 30, 2003

Hello,

I wonder if any translators based in Spain have some knowledge of the fees that local banks charge for cashing US checks? What is a common charge for cashing foreign checks?

I am asking this because I sent a payment ($50 checks drawn in a US bank) to a person in Spain, but it turned out that a local bank charged her EUR 15.00 to cash this check. She said this percentage is pretty common for other local banks too (her bank is Caja Madrid). It makes 45% of the $50...

[Edited at 2003-09-30 23:25]

Direct link Reply with quote

mbc
Spain
Local time: 03:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
depends on bank and your connections Oct 1, 2003

Hello, I live in Spain and sometimes get checks in US dollars. Most banks charged quite a lot (15 to 20%) and some won´t cash a check for under 100 dollars or so. Strangely enough, I´ve found, that if you always go to the same branch and deal with the same person the commission mysteriously gets a bit lower...

United States
Member (2003)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Madeline! Oct 10, 2003

I just learned that this Spanish bank also takes commission for incoming transfers (like EUR 15), which confused me even further... Is it a standard?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:33
English to German
+ ...
A bit on the high side... Oct 11, 2003

...but not too unusual - the German banks I deal with typically deduct between 6 and 10 euros for incoming non-EU transfer payments.

Best, Ralf

United States
Member (2003)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Strange... Oct 11, 2003

I have used several banks in Bulgaria and Cyprus and none of them applies any commission for incoming transfers. None of them charges for withdrawals (or opening/closing an account) either. I am really surprised that it's not a case in Western Europe

[Edited at 2003-10-11 09:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cashing US checks in Spain

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs