How to count words you translated
Thread poster: Hisami Kimura-Burnside
Hisami Kimura-Burnside  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:29
English to Japanese
+ ...
Oct 14, 2003

One of my agencies told me to count the number of words, reducing the repetitions after I completed the project.
Other agency never asked me to reduce the repetitions. This is the first time that it has happened to me.

Is this common understanding in this business?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:29
English to German
+ ...
This needs to be agreed upon in advance Oct 14, 2003

As with any agreement regarding the remuneration payable, this needs to be agreed at the outset of the job (preferably, this should be stated in the purchase order).

Best regards, Ralf

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:59
English to Tamil
+ ...
Don't give in Oct 14, 2003

At the outset one question. Are you using any CAT tool? Then only the question of repetition is relevant. If it is not the case no question of agreeing to the agency's demands. Even with CAT tools there are differing opinions. Here too it has to be seen whether you had any prior agreement with the agency on the matter of repetitions. In the absence of any prior agreement sit tight and give the full wordcount. And for the future. Never agree to any reduction for repetitions. After all you are not responsible for the same.
Regards,
Narasimhan Raghavan

Hisami Kimura-Burnside  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:29
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No agreement in advance and no CAT tool Oct 14, 2003

Thanks a lot, Ralf and Narasimhan.

The fact is that they didn't send me any contract in advance.

I didn't use CAT tool.

Now the project was completed, and they send me the contract and told me how to count the words.
Maybe I was too naive.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:29
German to English
+ ...
Word count Oct 14, 2003

One of my agencies told me to count the number of words, reducing the repetitions after I completed the project.

If you did not agree upon a discount for repetitions when you accepted the job, your customer is not entitled to any discount. He is obliged to pay for any work he has commissioned, and if he does not want to pay for the same thing twice, the onus is on him to ensure that he only commissions it once. Translation is no different in this respect from any other work performed for a fee.

This applies whether you use CAT tools or not.

On the other hand, if you realize in the course of translation or before you start that the work is very repetitive - large sections of text 100% identical, for instance - I think a fair practice is to point out to your customer that he will be paying for the same work more than once. You can then offer him an alternative solution, such as a discount for repetitions, or no charge at all if he marks the repeated sections and you ignore them.

Marc

OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:29
English to German
+ ...
No discount Oct 14, 2003

If they want a discount for repititions this has to be agreed beforehand as Ralf pointed out. I personally never accept discounts imposed on me by the client. Next time you deal with them just quote a higher rate and agree to give them a small discount for the whole text. If they don't want to pay for repititions they should send you the text without those passages.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:59
English to Tamil
+ ...
One more point Oct 15, 2003

The client might try the following ploy. "Of course there was no prior agreement. But we will be giving you a lot of work." The only reply which I give such clients is:"I believe in getting the second and the subsequent orders on account of my quality of translation and prompt deliveries but not on account of my being cheap."
Now it is for you to act. Whatever you decide to do, remember it only depends on you.
All the best,
Narasimhan Raghavan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count words you translated

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs