Thread poster: Edward Potter

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:06
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 27, 2003

Dear fellow prozians,

I would like advice from anyone who has worked in the television industry, especially in Spain. Here is the situation:

Last weekend my baseball team and I travelled to Madrid to play a game. Present at the game were representatives of an advertising agency specifically looking for a person with my physical features and abilities. As I played my game of baseball I was also unknowingly doing an audition for a commercial. Today, Monday, I was contacted by the ad agency with an offer to appear in their taped proposal for their client. Later, if the client accepts the proposal, my bat-swinging and smiling face would be shown on national TV, especially during the Christmas season. They would also find actors who look like me at different stages of my life but I would clearly be the main character of the commercial.
They will ask me to sign a one-year Right to Image Waiver, meaning they will be able to do whatever they want with the images they record for the period of one year.

The payment? They have offered me 600 euros for 2 full days of work - a Friday and a Monday. They would also pay for the train to Madrid (a 3 hour trip) and weekend expenses.

My question to those who have experience with this type of work is: Is this a typical offer? Are there any points that are not covered here? What other points need to be considered?

I have to answer them by tomorrow morning so any input from people who know something about the industry between now and then will be much appreciated.

Edward Potter

Direct link Reply with quote
Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Get an agent Oct 27, 2003

It sounds like they're trying to take you for a ride.

If the commercial is to be shown on national TV, you should be charging tens of thousands, not hundreds.

[Edited at 2003-10-27 23:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for a TV commercial, quick response please

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs